Friday, September 14, 2007

A Simple but Life-changing Statement

I was reading John Piper the other day and came across a short, simple but incredibly profound statement that has provided much food for thought in recent days.

Here it is:

"The battle is not to do, but to see."

This struck me at the very core, and as I was pondering why, this is what I came up with. I believe that the Holy Spirit enlightened my mind and enabled me to grasp just a little bit of what this really means

Why is the battle to see rather than to do? Because when we see God, really SEE Him, as beautiful, merciful, gracious, righteous, fun, exciting, and the answer to every question and every problem and every need, we cannot HELP but love Him more than anything. The more we really see Him and know Him, the more we will value what He values, the more we will enjoy Him, and the more we will hunger for more of Him and greatly desire to experience ever-deepening revelations of Him and His nature and His character. The more we know Him, the more we SEE His greatness and inestimable value, the more His Spirit will fill us and move in us, and all of the actions that mirror His presence in our lives will flow from us naturally, easily, and effortlessly, for His glory and for the blessing of everyone around us.

Actions like:

Reading the Bible with joy and hunger and gratitude, instead of out of obligation.

Spending time with our loved ones instead of wasting it on mindless, fleeting and empty pursuits.
Valuing and appreciating all that God has trusted us with and being committed to using those precious gifts wisely.

I pray that God will continue to open our eyes to see all that is worthy to be seen, and close them to everything that does not honor Him.

(photo from an email)

1 comment:

Laura lok said...

Hi Mel. Janet F passed on your blog to me and I am finally getting a chance to sit down and read it. I am enjoying it as well. thanks
laura L.