Monday, May 01, 2006

James 1:22 "But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves."

The Bible says that if we hear the Word of God, but don't DO it (apply it, obey it, practice it and live it out in action), we're deceiving ourselves. I truly hate to be lied to or deceived in any way by anyone or anything, but what's really sad is that many of us do it to ourselves.

When I learned this, it really set me free in so many ways. Before I truly grasped this concept, I would read the truths of the Bible and receive them with a sort of reservation, thinking that perhaps this or that truth or this or that command didn't really apply to me or to the time we're living in. And thinking that way really kept me from living in the freedom and power that God longs for in all of His children.

How many times have we read a passage or heard a message, thought to ourselves, "Wow, that's good," and then gone on about pursuing our desires without ever taking a step to implement what we learned?

Ever since I truly understood this truth and received it into my being, the Bible has come alive to me in a fresh, real and relevent way. Also, I am more attentive to my pastor's messages, Christian books and Christian music than I have ever been before. I read and listen with eagerness, hungry for more of God and more of His truth. I trust that He will show me the areas in my heart and life are displeasing to Him, and I pray that I will be responsive enough and responsible enough to act immediately to allow His holy fire to cleanse and purify me.

No comments: