Thursday, July 23, 2009

Trying to make it all fit

(I took this picture early this year while I was carpooling to and from work with my coworker. This is one of my favorite sights... Sunny trees against a backdrop of gray clouds. Maybe it's because of my inherent love for contrast and paradox...?)

Life is so amazingly, incredibly, breathtakingly full! I can't believe it's been like two weeks since my last post. Where in the world does the time go...??

Yesterday I finished the last of my continuing education classes, so I'll be able to renew my insurance license now. Whew! That's a load off my mind. I won't have to do that again for another two years. Yippee!!

When Fred was here visiting in Spokane, he brought me a lovely stack of books. I'm in the middle of reading three of them right now. I'm so glad to be able to have more time to read now that my insurance classes are done. I'm particularly enjoying a little book called "Abide in Me," which is based on the passage in John where Jesus uses the illustration of the vine and the branches to help us understand our relationship with Himself. The book is meant to be read slowly--one chapter per day. But I'm enjoying it so much that I'm having a hard time reading it at that pace. However, putting it down is made easier because the other book I have in my bag is a book of prayers and meditations from Mother Teresa, and I'm enjoying that one very much also. Mother Teresa is definitely one of my heroes, and her words are like a healing balm to my very weary soul. Thank you, Fred, so much, for your graciousness... :)

I've also been spending some time recently utilizing the wonderous modern-day internet miracle that is Facebook. It's made it possible for me to re-connect with friends from school that I haven't seen or had any contact with at all since the early 90's. It's also a great way to stay in touch with a lot of people on a daily basis. I'm loving it!

God is so good. I pray that He will help me to abide in Him fully, even in the midst of hectic, chaotic situations, and that He will be glorified in all I say and do.

5 comments:

Kat said...

great photo. Good to see you haven't quit writing. Like you, I have been so busy with other things that I cant find time to just sit and do the little stuff. Renewing old friendships is a great way to relax and unwind so I hope you've found rest in that time as well. God Bless... K

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Mel

The photo you have posted is very pleasing to the eyes and spreads a sense of inward peace.

My hearty congratulations to you for finishing your classes for renewing your insurance license. You really had a great will power to keep away from blogging new posts. Selling insurance is paying but it is quite a tough affair. Since you are doing a full time job already, I wonder how you will get time to sell insurance. Yet it is fantastic on your part to look for other avenues for earning money.

Fred indeed is very generous and kind to part with some excellent books. Both of you love books and share some good and useful information with us. I, for that matter , don’t have the patience to sit and read an entire book. But I pick up some information here and there. I make up for that reading yours and Fred’s post. In this way I keep myself upto date on many things and also learn something new in the process.

I’m glad to know that you are able to catch up with some of your friends through Face Book. I agree technology is becoming so much advanced that yesterdays dreams are becoming todays reality.

I’m glad and delighted to see you have started posting.

My best wishes to you and your family Mel
Joseph

Unknown said...

Hi Mel,

I feel refreshed just having read this post from you! So glad to hear you are done with your classes and life is going well for you! Praise God!

He threw the big red 'Stop' sign in front of me the other day too, time for a bit of a blogging break for me too. Time to start focusing on Him more again.

My prayer is that you will continue to feel as full as you feel now...full of His grace, mercy and love.

Isn't Facebook just fun?!

God bless you dear Mel!

Hugs,
Trudy

Rhapsody Phoenix said...

Blessings its good that you can see the through to the things in the world with such optomism. I to enjoy landscapes. I also love to cloud watch as it impacts the landscapes as well and seem to always have a story to tell about the view in sight.

nice post. take care and God bless.

Mel said...

Hi Katrena,

Glad you like the picture! :) I think a lot of people are probably in the same boat that we are. Goes with the times and culture...

Hi Joseph,

Glad you like the picture, too! :) I actually don't do much in the insurance realm, but it's important that I have my license so I can help my husband when he gets really busy.

I know what you mean about reading. There were many years that I didn't read much of anything. I seem to go in streaks. Right now I'm in a peak season of reading, but I'm sure it will wane at some point.

Hi Trudy,

"Time to start focusing more on Him again..." Amen to that! It's always nice to know that other people understand where we're coming from, isn't it? Empathy and holding each other accountable and that sort of thing.

Hi Rhapsody,

Thanks for the kind comments. I am an optimist by nature (I inherited it from my mother). It's nice to see the world through rose-colored glasses. Much better than the alternative...

God bless each and every one of you, and those who are dear to you. Thank you so much for the kind and honest comments. They mean the world to me. :)

Affectionately,
Mel