Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

(this gorgeous photo came to me in an email from a friend, a long time ago...)

This year, as always, there is so much to be thankful for! I pray that God will open my eyes to see ever-more fully how richly He has blessed me, and blessed us, and expand my capacity to feel the passionate gratitude that His blessings and constant presence and attention warrant!

Tonight my family is scheduled to travel to Keith's mom's place in the mountains outside of Colville so that we can spend the Thanksgiving weekend with them up there. I look forward to this trip every year... It's like a retreat! No cell phones, one very slow dial-up computer, a blazing hot living room, freezing cold bedrooms, tons of yummy food, a thousand games of Scrabble and late-night movies... I can't wait!! It's possible that we won't be able to drive up tonight because of the roads, but in that event we'll hopefully go up early tomorrow morning, as soon as the sun hits the pavement!

What am I grateful for most especially this Thanksgiving...? Hmmm... Let's see...

A God Who knows me intimately and wants me to know Him more and more every day
My family. All of them. My husband, kids, mother and father, inlaws--everyone.
A fantastic job that I love and wake up every morning looking forward to.
A church full of real, loving, committed people
A beautiful home with lots of windows that's within walking distance of all of the kids' schools
A rejuvinated marriage
relatively good health
all of my senses
And oh so much more than I could ever hope to write about here...

I pray that God will help me to be faithful with the overflowing blessings He's showered upon me, and that He will help me to bless others in any possible way, at every possible opportunity. I pray also that He will continually remind me that all of this comes from Him... I didn't do anything to earn it or deserve it--it's absolutely 100% all about His grace and goodness! May His love, light, compassion, and heart for service take root and bring forth fruit in my life. Lord, You're amazing!

2 comments:

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hello Mel:)

First of all let me congratulate you on the marvelous photo you have posted.The colors are magical,the sun light falling on the green grass is beautiful,the suns rays reflecting on the water is breath taking and the shadow of the bridge falling on on the water is fantastic.

I am glad you are going to Keith's
house for thanksgiving and looking forward to enjoyable days. Surely all of you in the family need a break like this once a year to refresh and rejuvenate yourselves.I can see that all of you will spend more time with each other,interacting,playing,watching movies,eating delicious food and chatting freely,joking and having a good time without the normal day to day hassles and worries.This sounds like a lovely prospect with wonderful time together.

Your listing of the many blessings also lifted up my spirits because after reading the list I started counting my own blessings. I agree God has given us so much although we don't deserve them.

To day I saw a street vendor woman's two children playing on the road side.The little girl and the elder one were fighting to get hold of a balloon. In the struggle the balloon burst.The elder girl got very annoyed and started holding the little one so tightly that the little girl started to struggle and cry loudly.Then the mother came to the rescue of the little girl and released her from the clutches of the elder girl. Then both girls started to wail loudly just for a balloon.It was a pitiable sight and many people watched the scene with great sorrow in their heart. The little girl should be around three and the elder one about six.

We should count our blessings then we will be happy.Instead we want this and that which have no relevance to our happiness.We can do without so many things which we already have and yet we can be happy.

Oh, I think this comment is going to be too long.Let me wish all happiness during the holidays and a safe journey.

Best wishes,Mel:)
Joseph

FCB said...

Hi Mel,
What a delightful post. Your ability to paint the Thanksgiving day celebration just comes to life. Makes me envious too, I might add.
Sounds like heaven. I can just see and feel the roar of the front-room fire and the hesitation to confront those freezing sheets!
I hope it was your best year ever, thanks for sharing,
Fred