Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Merry Christmas!!


I love Christmas! The lights, the music, the scents, the yummy goodies, the Christmas cards, the special times with family and friends, the crowds at the stores, the shopping, the traditions, the church and school Christmas programs – all of it!

This Christmas season has been considerably different for me than other Christmas seasons have been. Keith is doing the shopping (Praise God!) because there’s absolutely no way that I can stay within a budget, and I have proved it over and over again. And as God has freed me from the obligation of Christmas cards and Christmas baking (Thank You, Lord!)… His Spirit, His Word, His promise, His miraculous gift… They’re all I need to be utterly overflowing with joy and peace and thanksgiving this Holiday season.

I pray God will be all my children need as well. He is, of course, extravagantly more than they need, but they don't realize it yet, and I do so hope they soon will. I pray that God will do a renewing work deep in their hearts, resetting their appetites and desires so that they will sincerely hunger for that which is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy. (see Phil 4:8) And I also pray that they will be so satisfied with all that God is for them in Christ, that they will learn how to be content no matter what. We’re definitely not there yet, not by a long shot. But I believe that God has placed this delightful goal in front of us, and that by His grace alone we will continue to put one foot in front of the other as we cling to Him and to the Cross.

Merry Christmas to any who may read this! I pray that everyone is enjoying and being grateful for the good things of the season, and that the enemy will not be able to steal our joy as we celebrate God’s Magnificent Gift!

5 comments:

Dianna Wood said...

Sweet Mel,

I do believe (based on what you have shared) that this may very well turn out to be the most beautiful and memorable Christmas your family has ever experienced.

When we care not if the turkey is over baked and dry; and can laugh together at the stuffing that has way to much sage; and can make jokes about the lumpy gravy--and if our own hearts are so full of love for others and for our Savior--nothing--and I mean nothing can ruin the "joy" of Christmas.

Be patient with your children (I know that you are). Continue to let them witness your joy in Christ and express that joy whenever possible; pray for them fervently and frequently; even if it takes 20 years for you to see any change in their heart.

I love you dearly and keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers always.

Yours in Christ,
Dianna

Kat said...

Merry Christmas to any who may read this! I pray that everyone is enjoying and being grateful for the good things of the season, and that the enemy will not be able to steal our joy as we celebrate God’s Magnificent Gift!


I really needed to see this comment today. As you know, working where I do offers alot of challenges and Satan has parked himself pretty deep in this area. Today has been one of those days and to have a reminder to be strong is soemthing I really needed to hear. Thanks and God Bless...Kat

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Mel :)

Very inspiring post!

Wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas with abundant blessings from Child Jesus, our Saviour.

FCB said...

Hi Mel,
Best wishes for you and your family as well. I'm sure your children will find all they need in Christ. They will find much of Him in you; learning what you live and loving what you love. I think the world will be impacted greatly by your children, can't wait to see, I get a peek already by Linnea's blog, good things in store.
God bless,
Fred

Mel said...

Thank you all for your comments! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

In Christ, Who truly is the Reason for the Season,

Mel