Friday, December 12, 2008

The Word of God



God has been calling me back to the truth and beauty and purity of His Word. The last couple of years I’ve been on a feeding frenzy reading books and articles and blogs and websites ABOUT God’s Word. But now He’s placed a hunger in my heart for His Word alone, and I’m LOVING it!

Whenever I start to read the Bible, I do so realizing that the same Spirit that wrote the Book also resides in my heart, and is ready, willing and able to interpret it to my heart and life. My prayer is that He will use His Word more and more in every encounter, to deeply renew and regenerate my heart and mind so that love, righteousness, truth and beauty will flow through all of my life naturally. In every word, thought, attitude, action, reaction, decision, conversation, etc.

I’ve been feeling a bit of unrest lately in my Awana class, and asking God to show me the source of it. The other day I was standing in our kitchen having a conversation with my 6-year-old son, Stephen, and God opened my eyes to see what’s been bothering me. I asked Stephen a question, and in the lull between the question and answer, God showed me that Stephen wasn’t at all concerned with answering the question honestly. His whole focus was on finding the “right” answer, the answer he thought I wanted to hear.

It seems to be the same way with most of our church kids. They think all of this scripture memorization is so they can earn points for their teams and get a piece of candy at the end of the evening... When will they understand that these are the Words of the Living God? And that they are precious beyond comprehension and Something to be treasured and sought after? I know that only the Holy Spirit can do that in them, and I'm praying, praying, praying that He'll grab hold of their hearts and open their eyes.

Then the other day I was reading in Matthew and God opened my eyes to see something else. The Pharisees were scripture-soaked. Most of them had more of the Holy Scriptures memorized than any of us will ever even read. When Jesus asked them questions, they either didn’t answer at all, or they answered the question correctly. Most of the time, they answered the question correctly. They had so much of God’s Word committed to memory, and yet that Word had ever penetrated their hearts.

God used that reality to show me just how worthless a correct answer really is if it doesn’t flow from a heart that has been reborn into His kingdom.

For all of their head knowledge, the Pharisees were cold, wicked, heartless and prideful. Whenever Jesus told them a parable and they figured out that THEY were the bad guys in the story… Were they humbled? Were their eyes opened? Did they cry out “Oh my God, please help us for we are a wicked people desperately in need of your mercy and grace!” No... Far from it. Their attitude indignantly said, “He’s talking about US! Let’s KILL Him!” (What I find really scary about that, is the Pharisees truly believed they were on God’s side, and He was on theirs.)

Contrast their prideful reaction with the humble reaction of King David when Nathan told him the story of the rich man who took the one sheep of his poor neighbor and slaughtered it, instead of using one of the many sheep he owned already. (See II Samuel 12) When he found out that he was the bad guy in the story, David said, “I have sinned against the Lord,” and Psalm 51 was born by the Spirit out of a humble and God-glorifying heart.

Oh, Father God, I pray that You will give me (and my children, and any who hear Your heart in this message) humble hearts like King David. Hearts that are quick to receive your correction and quick to repent of wrongdoing. Hearts that acknowledge that You are our Source, and there is no righteousness, truth or beauty apart from You. In Jesus’ Name, amen.

8 comments:

Dianna Wood said...

God has clearly blessed you with discernment and a focus on the right things in regard to your children--inward realities, not outward actions.

I read an article in September, that addressed your very same concerns and observations. It was entitled. "How to Raise Pharisee". Here's the link:

http://www.sfpulpit.com/2008/09/22/how-to-raise-a-pharisee/

I think it will encourage and strengthen you.

Hugs in Kisses,
Dianna

FCB said...

HI Mel,
Great post, more than great, I think you described one of the most important themes of the ministry of Christ. "Knowledge puffeth up", and can be had while being completely void of humanity.
I just posted a pieced by John Newton where he recalls the lessons he learned while visiting a hospital for the sick and dying, he explains how first hand involvement ENERGIZED the truths of God's word. Without knowledge applied to humanity we become a Pharasee, knowing all things but possessing none.

Your observations were keen regarding children learning scripture as well; when I taught Sunday school, I would always try and illustrate each scripture in like manner as Nathan, find a story, parable or illustration greared to their level, that parallels the scripture to be memorized. Once I was teaching the seven things God hates and I drew a body part or item that illustrated each precept. Tongue, ear, hands, gavel etc.
Sometimes current events from the newspaper have application. I don't mean to imply that you haven't done this already and could better instruct me, but if not I know your quick mind will sieze upon it.
God bless,
Fred

Donna said...

Don't you love it when God uses our everyday moments to learn something new about the Truth of His Kingdom? How more personal can you get?

I learned so much about God's character through my relationship with my kids. God will use any source of course...I've had a revelation watching a TV show before...but I've had some of my deepest moments into the heart of the Father when being a parent to my own child.

Humble hearts like David....I agree. Amen

Donna :)))

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Mel :)

Very insspiring post!

I must compliment you for the enormous study, research, observation and thinking involved for writing this magnificent post.

I have one small doubt. Can we expect children to think like us, grown ups?

Many thanks for sharing.

Have a good day :)

Danielle&Hannah said...

Wow, inspiring! "buy the truth and sell it not" Proverbs 23:23
Thanks for posting. Keep strong and perservere to lay a foundation for your lovelies!
from,
a single mother working f/t and studying p/t with a couple of crazy other jobs on the side! :-)

Mel said...

Hi Dianna,

Thank you for your words of encouragement. Your feedback means a great deal to me. I have read part of that incredible article, and am looking forward to finishing it. (God, can we please have just a few more hours in the day...?)

Hi Fred!

Your feedback means a great deal to me, too. Thank you for the thoughtful comment and for the wonderful, practical suggestions. I need more of those. Please keep them coming! :)

Hi Donna!

Yes, our infinite, omnipotent Creator is also infinitely personal. What a miracle! :) Thank you for your encouraging words.

Hi Joseph!

Thank you for the positive comments. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. In answer to your question... No, I don't expect the children to think like grown-ups at all. I praise God for their childishness and pray that He will make and keep their hearts soft towards Him with a forever-childlike simple and strong faith. I pray that He will give me wisdom and will speak through me to them in some way that will impact their lives for eternity. Good question, thanks for asking it!

Hi Danielle!

Thank you so much for stopping by! It's always so nice to see a new face around here. You have a full plate... May God continue to bless you with grace and strength.

May God richly bless you all! With love and prayers,

Mel

pilgriminconflict said...

Hi Mel,

Thanks for this awesome post. What a blessing it was to read! So much truth that penetrates the heart! I pray that the Lord would only continue to deepen your hunger for His Word. Have you read Piper's book "When I Don't Desire God: How To Fight For Joy"? I read this book about 3 years ago and in the chapter called "The Focus of Prayer in the Fight For Joy", Piper describes a little acronym called "IOUS" that he uses in prayer every time he approaches the Word of God. Ever since reading that, I've used IOUS (and adapted it with an added I) and I've never read the Bible the same since. I'm including a link to an excerpt from that part of book and pray that it would be a blessing to you as you enjoy God through His Word! =) And if you've seen it before, may it be an encouraging reminder!

IOUS

Mel said...

Chris, Thank you SO MUCH for the link! I read it just now for the first time, and I LOVE it! I'll be passing it on for sure. God bless you, my friend!

In Christ,
Mel