Sunday, April 26, 2009

Arbor Day Celebration





Yesterday I took my mom, Stephen, Becca and Michael to the Finch Arboretum here in Spokane for an Arbor Day Celebration. We visited booths relating to gardening and various "green" practices, and we also attended the planting of a tree--a Sassafrass tree to be exact.
The lady who was responsible for the planting of the tree was doing so in honor of her daughter, Susie, who died. There are many trees in the Spokane area that have been planted in her honor, and those trees are part of what's known as "Susie's Forest." I love that... It reminds me of the kingdom of God in that Susie's Forest isn't all concentrated in one place, but is spread out amongst other trees and vegetation, just like the kingdom of God is spread out throughout all the world, like yeast in fresh bread. We even got to help a bit with the planting of the tree by shoveling dirt back into the hole that had been dug. Michael wanted to use the shovel all by himself, which was a little funny to see, because the shovel was considerably taller than he is and probably weighed about as much as him, too. But he was determined. I wish I could have gotten a picture, but my camera battery ran out of juice.
The bottom picture is from our living room... I was entranced with the new buds on the bush outside the window and the sun shining on it. It was taken at a time when all of us were ravenously hungry for spring, and that bush in the front yard was about the only thing with new growth on it. I like the picture because of the color combinations and contrasts. I've decided to experiment more with my camera. If I can us my own photos more, and the photos of my friends and family, I think I'd like that better than using the work of strangers all the time.

5 comments:

Danielle&Hannah said...

Beautiful pics! Still looks a lil cold over there? It is pretty cold here atm. There is snow on the mountain tops, only kilometers away, but none here at our home. I was just pulling some veggies up from the garden. :-( The growing season has vanished. I will be looking for green garden photos while we endure winter here.

:-)Danielle

Mel said...

Thanks! Yes, it was and is a little chilly... Although last week we had a couple of sunny days that were in the 70's and 80's (F). That was lovely. When will it start getting warm again in your area?

You were very quick with the comment. I wasn't actually going to post this yesterday, I was just going to save it and come back later, but I hit "publish post" by accident and didn't have time to take it back off. So anyway, I'll be tweaking my post a bit...

Have a fabulous day in the glorious light of our Lord! :)

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Mel :)

Very interesting photos. Gives an idea of your surroundings and what you did. Unlike the city I live, your place is quite clean with lovely green surroundings which means a healthy atmosphere. The children are very happy and I am sure they enjoyed the outing.

They also learned something about planting trees and taking care of the surroundings. You mother also must have enjoyed the trip with the kids.

SUSIE'S FOREST seems to be a novel idea. A really grand way to remember a child that passed away. Your analogy of the kingdom of God is very interesting. To find God in every thing you do or see is very unusual.

I am sure you also had a good time with the children. They are very attractive and lively.

Have a nice day Mel :)
Joseph

FCB said...

Hi Mel,
What a lovely way to spend time with the kids. Great photos and it is fun to see your personal photos. Photography is a gratifying hobby isn't it?
Thanks for the peek into your day,
Fred

Mel said...

Hi Joseph,

Reading your well-written observations is one of the greatest delights of my life. :) I look forward to reading them like a little kid looks forward to going to the candy store with money in their pocket to buy whatever they want. Thank you for your faithful visiting and commenting. May God bless you for your efforts. :)

Hi Fred,

Yes, I am enjoying photography more and more. My friend Katrena has inspired me. I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. Yes, it was a good way to spend some time together, and everyone enjoyed it. God is good! Many blessings to you and yours! :)