Saturday, April 18, 2009

My Mom's Sweet Offerings


Shortly after my mom moved here, Spokane was buried in snow for a couple of months, so her car sat under a pile of snow for quite some time. Once it was thawed out again, the first time she drove it was to take Megan somewhere and take her car to the gas station to put gas in it because it was almost on empty. But while she was at the gas station, her car stalled and wouldn't start again, so Keith and I took our truck and went and got her and towed her home. The car didn't work after that, and we thought it was because of some electrical problem that would probably cost more to repair than the car is worth.

So Mom decided to sell her car to the junk yard and cancel her insurance on it to save us the $37 per month we had been paying on it. She got $50 for the car, which is the first money she's had in months. She brought it to me holding it like a treasure and said, "This money is the life money of my car." She was choked up. She really loved that car. "I can't do anything ordinary with this money. I tried to give it to your father, but he refused to take it." Then she tried to give it to my husband because he's been paying her bills since she got here. But he wouldn't take it either.

So together she and I gave half of it to Charity Water and half of it to "Faith Comes by Hearing."

Her offering reminded me so much of this passage of scripture:

1 Chronicles 11:15-19: "Three of the thirty chiefs came down to David to the rock at the cave of Adullam, while a band of Philistines was encamped in the Valley of Rephaim. At that time David was in the stronghold, and the Philistine garrison was at Bethlehem. David longed for water and said, "Oh, that someone would get me a drink of water from the well near the gate of Bethlehem!" So the Three broke through the Philistine lines, drew water from the well near the gate of Bethlehem and carried it back to David. But he refused to drink it; instead, he poured it out before the LORD. "God forbid that I should do this!" he said. "Should I drink the blood of these men who went at the risk of their lives?" Because they risked their lives to bring it back, David would not drink it. Such were the exploits of the three mighty men.

2 comments:

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Mel :)

Very interesting post.

Your mother must have been upset that the car had to be sold. Now her movement will be restricted. Yet she was ready to give away the money instead of keeping it. Very kind of her.

The best thing that both of you did was to give it away for charity. Christianity is based on charity. God will surely bless both of you for this magnanimous act.

I read the story of David with great interest. I am not aware of this.Of course, my knowledge of Bible is not as deep as yours, I must admit.

Many thanks for sharing this lovely post Mel :)May God bless you and your mother abundantly.
Joseph

Mel said...

Hi Joseph,

My mom was not happy about selling her car, but she is able to get around quite nicely using our public transportation system. It's complex and difficult to figure out, but she's getting a good handle on it.

I'm glad you enjoyed reading the story of David. I love reading about him, he's one of my absolute favorite biblical characters. There's so much we can learn from him.

God bless you, Joseph! Your friendship is dear to my heart.