Thursday, April 30, 2009

A Precious Friend and Fellow Believer

This is my friend Ernie from work, and his lovely wife Sandy, and both of their bikes. I met him at a mid-week Bible study group at work in 2005. He is one of my dearest friends, the person who introduced me to the books “The Shack” and “Cat and Dog Theology,” and the person that I was able to sing some hymns to in an empty downtown condo earlier this year. We go for a walk at lunch once a month, and it’s something I look forward to and enjoy tremendously. Ernie is one of those extremely rare individuals who sees and seeks God’s glory in everything, and who reaches out to and accepts and unconditionally loves all people from all walks of life.

He is a pastor and one of the founders of a ministry called
Independent Christian Bikers, which puts out a newsletter every month. One of the regular contributors to the newsletter, and also a ministry partner, is Ed “Chef” Sykes. Chef Sykes is a prisoner and has been for many years. When Ernie and I walked in March, he had just gone to visit Chef Sykes for the first time, and he was Chef’s first visitor in over 10 years. (Chef's children stopped writing several years ago, too. He hasn't had a letter from any of them in four years.)
When Ernie and I walked in April, he had just been to visit Chef Sykes for the second time--to attend the prison's Easter service with him. I was profoundly and deeply blessed by his account of the service... How authentic and spirit-filled it was, in spite of (or maybe because of) its location. I've often thought to myself (especially after reading A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers) that in many ways, prison must be freeing. Freedom from at least some forms of temptation. Freedom from a frantically hurried and busy schedule. Freedom from the ups and downs of the economy. In many ways, freedom from self and the constant pull towards worshipping self above all else. It didn't surprise me to hear how profound the service was, and I found myself wishing I could have been there to worship with and enjoy the fellowship of these two brothers in Christ and the Spirit of Christ Himself in such a profound way.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You can. Prison/jail ministry with women is right across the river from your work.the realities you speak of are true and many prisoners are longing for truth and for human conversation. You should go along with a team.

Mel said...

I would love to do that.

kayloni said...

hey mel,

I'd go with you in a heartbeat.

Mel said...

Kayloni, I can't think of anything I'd rather do with anyone than to go to the jail together with you to minister to the women there. :)

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Mel :)

Many thanks for introducing Pastor Ernie and Sandy. They are a gorgeous couple. Happy, cheerful, confident and built to face all trials and tribulations this world. I love their motor cycles too. I had a Bullet motor cycle for nine years and it is a great thrill to ride and race on a motor cycle. Of course, I read some where - SPEED THRILLS BUT KILLS.

I am glad you are reading a lot of books and enriching your knowledge. Pastor Ernie is a wonderful influence on you.He is doing great work for God and spreading the message of Christ even to prisoners. He is giving comfort and solace to hardened criminals.

But some how your thoughts that prison is freeing sounded strange to me and quite contrary to my beliefs. May be because I didn't read that book-VOICE IN THE WIND.

I have seen caged birds. Unhappy, listless, sitting idly not knowing what to do, lack of interest in food or for that matter anything, pecking each other, vicious and in bad mood. What will a human being do in a prison? He or she will rot. There is a thinking that imprisoning people doesn't make them good people. They actually become unfit to live in society.

Some great books were written by Mahatma Gandhi, Nelson Mandela etc. But they were political prisoners.

You have some fantastic friends in Pastor Ernie and Sandy. I was inspired by their selfless work for God and HIS Glory.

Have a wonderful day Mel:)
Joseph

Mel said...

Hi Joseph,

I have to agree with you about Pastor Ernie and Sandy. The are everything you described, and more.

Prison here and prison in your country might be entirely different things. I bet our prisons are like hotels compared to most of the prisons in the world. Chef Sykes treats prison like his home. He cleans up the clutter without being asked, and greets and welcomes newcomers to ease their transition. While many prisoners here have trouble living outside of prison after they are released, there are many others that are welcomed by church groups and other organizations that help them get on their feet.

I hope you will read "A Voice in the Wind" someday. It's an eye-opener for sure.

Many blessings to you my dear Joseph!