Friday, September 19, 2008



The two major areas of my life that need the most help right now are learning how to be a good wife and learning how to be an effective mother. Keith and I have gone through “Growing Kids God’s Way” twice, but I haven’t been very good at implementing the principles from that program. I’m too lazy, too undisciplined and too unsure of myself.

In spite of my obvious failings, until this recent season of self-examination, I had deceived myself into thinking I was a relatively good mother. Several years ago, my work offered a series of classes on the book “Parenting with Love and Logic.” People I knew attended the classes and were delighted with the effective practicality of the principles taught there. They shared their delight with me and others and told everyone they knew that they thought the class would be valuable for any parent to attend.

The class was offered again and I was personally invited by a friend. While my voice was “graciously” declining the opportunity citing the reason as not being able to attend after-work functions because of daycare time constraints, the reality is that the pride in me rose up and thought “I’ve been through ‘Growing Kids God’s Way’ twice! I don’t need another parenting class. I’m doing just fine, thank you.”

I shudder to think how much damage I have done to my children because of not making use of that valuable opportunity when God laid it directly in my path.

At our church’s women’s retreat this year, one of the workshops was about parenting, and the speaker spoke from the book “Parenting with Love and Logic.” Thankfully, my heart was definitely far more receptive this time, and the whole time I was sitting there nodding my head because I could relate to nearly everything that was being said. After the workshop I asked the speaker if I could borrow the book, and she graciously allowed me to.

I’ve been reading it ever since and have had some chances to apply what I’m learning, with encouraging success. What a gold-mine of practical truth! I am enjoying being in this season of receptive teachability, and am praying that by God’s grace, He will continue to soften my heart.

Pride is still a huge (HUGE) stronghold in my life. I hope and pray that He will keep me from regressing into old thinking patterns, and feeling patterns, and will teach me new ways of thinking, and that He will embed in the depths of my heart the truth that “…I am less than the least of all God’s people…” (Eph 3:8). I want to live in that reality, to be wholly and completely dependent on Him for all things.
(photo from the internet)

4 comments:

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hello Mel!

You should have a good time with your children. Very soon they will grow up and go their own way. If you miss this golden opportunity now you will only regret later.

When you get the time kindly go through my post--LITTLE CHILDREN-FOUNTAIN OF LIMITLESS JOY! dated 5/17/08 and also ISSUES FROM CHILDREN'S POINT OF VIEW!dated 4/27/08.

Have a wonderful day!

Mel said...

Thanks, Joseph! I am having a good time with my kids, and trying to enjoy every moment and every season of life with them. I did read both of those posts when you first posted them, and was greatly blessed by them. :)

God bless you, friend!

Mel

Anonymous said...

Haven't read your blog in about a month. It was fun catching up. One comment from a post way below: I think it is a bit of a stretch to say you are a pathetic mother...and I think your kids would agree with me. Your honesty is refreshing but for sure on this trait negatively exagerated. Unless you really beleive it...in that case you are simply wrong.

I hope someday all your children understand how richly blessed they are by God to have you as a mother!

I'll write more later. Lots of love to you from me.

Mel said...

Thanks, Kayloni. :) I know I'm not the worst mother that has ever lived, but I do a really good job at hiding my weak areas from the outside world. Your words of encouragement mean a lot to me. Bless you!

Love,
Mel