Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Children and Pain

If pain is such an powerful tool in the hands of God, if it is so effective at shaping us and opening our eyes to the great truths of Who He is and what His presence means in our life, why, oh why(!) do we go to such great lengths to eliminate pain from our children's lives? Seriously.

For instance, I used to feel so guilty when my kids would come to me complaining of boredom. Like I was a total failure or something. So I'd do everything I could to keep them from getting bored, which usually meant giving them something. A new toy, a new game, a new movie, ideas, suggestions, whatever.

Then it occurred to me that every single great success story I've ever heard involves someone who has excelled and succeeded in spite of overwhelming odds against them, tragedy, or extraordinary challenges. We all know so many examples of people who have been given every advantage and spared every possible difficulty by their parents, and yet they grow up to rebel against everything they were taught to believe and to walk a path of suffering caused by the consequences of their own choices.

At the Contagious Joy Women of Faith Conference in 2006, the common denominator in every single story of how God had worked to bring joy into the lives of the speakers, was that before He brought the joy, there was a great deal of sorrow first.

I don't jump when my kids say their bored anymore. Instead I say something like, "You know, with your creative mind, I'm certain you'll be able to think of something to do."

Boredom can give birth to all kinds of wonders of creativity and productivity. Sorrow can give birth to humor and light-heartedness. Anger can give birth to energy, motivation and positive, influential, life-changing choices.

I've chosen to watch and wait and see what God will do as I stand back and let Him do His work in the lives of my children.

3 comments:

FCB said...

Mel you are wise beyond your years. This is a great (old fashioned) post. What I mean is that children do have such creative minds, they, like Robert Louis Stevenson says, turn sofas into mountains, arm chairs into horses, I hope I posted that paragraph, if not I will, but I digress, anyway, with a few tools from mom and dad,bits of paper, pencils, marbles, paint, empty boxes, or whatever, they will no doubt come up with some fun and entertaining creation. One of my female cousins sent me a list of 100 jump-rope rhymes from her childhood, talk about creativity, it was hilarious to read them.
Have a great trip and tell us opportunities Jesus gives you while away.
In Christ,
Fred

Mel said...

Fred, thank you for the comments and the compliment. Your comments always make me smile, too. :)

All the glory goes to God. Every time He opens someone's eyes to see His truth, every time He renews a mind so that a life is transformed by thoughts and decisions that mirror His will, it's a true miracle of grace and mercy. I am constantly awed and humbled by His personal involvement in every detail of our lives.

Do you still have the list of jump rope rhymes? I'd love to have it if you'd be willing to send me a copy.

Anonymous said...

Hey, when did Fred lie about your name Edie Baurerer become a regular commenter here. This is my secret hidden treasure blog...go away.