Tuesday, April 29, 2008

More about pain...

We spend so much time, money, effort and energy trying to avoid pain. But pain is a huge part of this life, and every single painful thing I've ever gone through has ended up being a blessing. Usually because God has used it to open my eyes to see Him more clearly. Sometimes because it has opened doors to communication and relationships with other people. Always because there is a valuable lesson to be learned from it.

I can honestly say this now, for the first time in my life: When something painful happens, I give God praise and glory, because I trust Him, and I know that it is just the beginning of something wonderful He is going to do. I'm not afraid of pain anymore. I don't hate pain anymore, or even dislike it.

The other day I stubbed my toe on a table leg. At one time, I would have almost passed out from something like that. Everything in my life at that moment would have been consumed by it. But this time, I thought to myself, "Hmmm, it's just pain. No big deal." And you know what? The physical pain I was feeling immediately decreased by about 75% and was completely gone in a minute or so. I didn't feel compelled to hop around, mutter expletives or suck air through my teeth. Praise God! I'm excited to experience the rest of my life with this new-found insight... that the value of pain is something to be embraced, not run from or denied.

No comments: