Thursday, April 03, 2008

This is a copy of a post from Pastor Eric Blauer's blog:
A guy approached Jack (C.S. Lewis) on the street one day and asked him if he could spare a few shillings. And Jack immediately dove into his pocket and brought out all his change and handed it over to this beggar. And the chap he was with—I think it was Tolkien—said, "Jack, you shouldn't have given that fellow all that money, he'll just spend it on drink." Jack said, "Well if I had kept it, I would have only spent it on drink."
That post transformed my thinking and God used it to open my eyes. I LOVE it when that happens, because suddenly something that didn’t make sense before just starts making sense and peace and joy rush in to fill the place that confusion had previously held.

Before I read this post, I’d never given a single anything to any of those people that stand on the street corners with their signs. I always justified it with “holy” ideas like being a good steward and holding people accountable. My kids would want to give them money and I’d explain to them how in America, if people want to get help, they can. There are agencies all over the place waiting to feed them, clothe them, bathe them, etc, blah, blah, blah.

But even as I said those things, something just didn’t feel right about it. I could never look any of those people in the eyes when I drove past them. I couldn’t smile at them or speak to them. Their presence made me uncomfortable.

After I read Pastor Eric's blog post, everything clicked into place in one of those delicious "aha!" moments. Now I try to keep an envelope in my purse at all times with money in it dedicated to being given away to the people at the street corners. I don’t see them as irresponsible members of society anymore. I see them as precious blessings from God. I look for them now and am humbled by how many there are of these incredible, easy, in-your-face opportunities to do a good thing for someone without judging them or asking anything at all in return. I praise God for every priceless opportunity, and every time I drive away, I feel God’s love rush into me until it feels like it’s literally flowing out of every pore. It’s quite an addictive rush, actually.
A couple weeks ago, I was driving home from work. It was rush hour. I took the Sprague Avenue exit, which means I need to stay in the far right lane to get where I need to be. There was a person standing on the northwest corner of Appleway and Thierman holding a sign, which meant that I would need to cross four lanes to get to him. At the time I noticed him, I only had one block in which to do this, so I had to think fast. I prayed quickly, "God, if you want me to give this guy some money, You'll have to make a way for me to do it." So I looked behind and around and in front of me, and you know what...? In the middle of rush hour on a weekday, on a relatively busy section of road, God made a way. There wasn't anyone around me! No cars behind me, and no cars next to me in any of those four lanes! So I quickly moved over the four lanes and was able to give some money to the man. And all the way home, my spirit rejoiced in worship and adoration of my miracle-working God Who always enables us to do what He has called us to do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The logic seems very scewd. I don't get it. Was cs.lewis saying he would spend it on a beer. Because if he was...there is a big difference between someone that has a beer and a drunk/drug addict. Beggars are either drunks, drugies, or dissabled and being exploited. Either way your dollar or change is not going to help them. A prayer...yes. A dollar...lets just say I 100% agree with Tolkein. Why don't you save your hard earned money for a Christian program that helps people like them in more practical and meaningful ways rather then funding their addictions?

ps. I glad your bloogging more regularly now!

Anonymous said...

pps. I'm sure their is a very very very small exeption to the drunks, drugies and dissabled assumption for beggers in America. Either way I would not want to reinforce their bad decision to not be a responsible member of society.

Mel said...

Hi Kayloni,

I laid in bed awake last night thinking about how I would respond to what you said, praying that God would respond through me. I realize this is a very personal issue, and how it's viewed and acted on is between an individual and God alone.

I have to say, the joy that has flooded my spirit as I've given these people money has been far more valuable to me than the money ever was. If I give them $5, it's $5 that if I hadn't given it to them, it probably would have been spent on fast food, ice cream, or sugary treats for my kids or myself. Stuff that would have been enjoyed for an instant and then would have been gone forever (except for the added pounds on my waistline...). When I give one of these people money, the joy that floods my spirit is absolutely overwhelming, and I will have the memory of it for the rest of my life.

I also believe with my whole heart that God is sovereign, that those people are who they are and where they are for a reason, and that reason might be to give me an opportunity to show unconditional love without judgment.

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate that you share your thoughts with me. Bless you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your reply. Interesting....would you have the same experience of joy and fullfillment if you gave $5 to a Christian Charity? Not likely and maybe that is the issue.

I think it is great to give to Christian charities...and I think the charities that exsist to support do show unconditional love without judgment. But it is totally dule, borring and unfulfilling to just send someone a check even if you know it will go to great purposes. Which is probably why it is so awesome for you to give a begger money...you get to see their face, their response and physically be involved in the giving.

It's not that I think it is wrong to give to them...I just do not think money is a good option to truly help them. Instead of money I like the idea of giving them food or drink....like vodka (just joking) water or juice...hehe.

When I lived in Bellingham I used to make sure I had some food item (fruit or a cracker pack and bottled water) in my car before I ran errands. There were certain areas where there was always someone begging.

Just a creative idea. What if we kept some food bars and water bottles in our cars at all times with either a scripture or tracks taped on them and gave them out to beggers. Then they get 1) food and water and 2)hopefully read the word and get hope for their future and truth about God's love.

Hey I like that idea.