Sunday, June 14, 2009

Life Goes On, and Adventures in Reading

It has been a particularly hectic, busy, difficult, draining season lately. Praise God, He is faithful on a daily basis to remind me of His presence and care, and to reassure me that this difficult season will end, and a fresh season of peace will take its place (at least for a while). Until then, the little reminders from God are a lifeline for me. Many of them come from the blogs and comments of my good blogging friends, Joseph, Fred, Danielle, Laura, Donna, Katrena and Pastor Eric, to name a few (and not in any particular order). Many come from my family and friends, and some come straight from God's Spirit. This rose, which I discovered in Katrena's photos today, whispered God's peace to my spirit. It was much needed.


Recently I finished reading the book "The Unthinkable" and that same day I started reading the next book on my list "The Leader in Me" by Stephen Covey. It's so inspiring and thought-provoking, I'm having a hard time putting it down. In fact, my love for reading books has been recently rekindled, which is part of the reason I'm not posting as regularly as I used to. If you could see all of the sticky-notes that pepper the pages of the books I've read recently, you'd laugh. All of those sticky-notes represent quotes or paragraphs or excerpts that I would like to post on my blog, or explore in more detail. I have to laugh at myself. :)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Mel! I totally use the sticky notes too because I can't stand dog eared pages in my books!

I can't to hear all about what you're reading!

I hope life continues to look 'rosy' to you!

God bless!

Laura lok said...

LOL you made me laugh with the sticky notes. Good for you on the reading. I use to read a lot more but I get so engrossed i wouldn't sleep much so I have to limit my reading. to obsessive.

Femin Susan said...

wonderful rose...
the book is great...
cheers!

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Mel:)

The roses look really beautiful. I can see two more buds on the photo. Probably the rosy patch you are going through will last for quite some time.

Reading books and making notes on the pages is quite interesting because I don't like to do that on books. As a result when I want to refer to something later it is impossible to locate it.

Hope you will get many more like minded blogger friends in course of time with their valuable comments, suggestions and inspirations.

Have a wonderful day Mel:
Joseph

Danielle&Hannah said...

Hi Mel,

I must say that we all need each other - brothers and sisters in the Lord - we all are human as I was reminded by a proverb i was reflecting upon today.
Proverbs 27:19
Our human hearts are similar: as our natures, passions, and vulnerabilities are much the same. We can know much about another person’s heart by virtue of knowing our own.
In all my busy-ness I love those reminders from friends incl. you, family and God.

Also, Wow, your good - using post-it's! I admit to writing in the book and inderlining ~ lol :-)

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Mel:)

I remembered just now. I read two books of Stephen Covey---SEVEN HABITS OF HIGHLY EFFECTIVE PEOPLE and also THE EIGHT HABIT.

The first book I gave to a friend of mine and told him to pass it on someone else after he finished reading it. The second book I got from the library. Both are excellent books.

Have a nice day Mel:)
Joseph

FCB said...

Hi Mel,
I had to laugh as well picturing your sticky note collection. I must confess that I write in the books, unless it is a particularly rare or valuable book. I then reference it in the back of the book so if my sticky notes lose their sticky, I can find the post when I need it. usually.
Anyway, I have to admire how rapidly you can devour a book! You must be a speed reader?

Bye the way, that rose is gorgeous!

Mel said...

Hi Trudy,

Yes, life is looking much more rosy now, Thank God! :) I hope to share quite a bit of what I've been reading, in the days and weeks ahead.

Hi Laura,

I'm tellin' ya, sticky notes are one of the most practical and useful inventions of recent years. I don't know what I did without them! I know what you mean about obsessive reading. There was a time when I was addicted to romance novels, and would literally shut off all of the rest of my life in order to read them. It was kind of sick, actually.

Hi Susan,

Thanks! Glad you like them! :)


Hi Joseph (twice!) :)

I'm greatly looking forward to reading both of those books of Dr. Covey's. I tried to read the 7 Habits once, but it wasn't the right time in my life for me to be too interested in it. I'm much more authentically interested in it now. I'm glad you pass your books on to other people. To me, that makes more sense than having them just take up space on a shelf somewhere, going unread.

Hi Danielle,

Oh, sometimes I write in my books, or underline, or highlight (or all three), but not when it's a library book, which is what I've mostly been reading these days. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement and sympathy. It's always nice to be understood by someone who's "been there." :)

Hi Fred,

Glad I made you laugh. That makes me smile. :) I'm actually not a speed reader, I just have a lot more time to read now since I've been taking the bus. It's great!!

God bless you all!

With warm regards, affection and gratitude,

Mel