Sunday, June 14, 2009

Snapshots

The other day Megan had a band concert. She plays the trumpet. Unfortunately, none of the pictures turned out that we took of her with the trumpet in her hand. But here she is sitting in her seat, smiling sweetly.

While we were waiting for the band to be ready to play, Linnea wanted to show me something in her locker. She did not, however, want me to take any pictures of her messy locker. But I couldn't pass up posting this cute picture, because it captures Linnea's flare for the dramatic, and Rebecca's curiosity about "big girl" things. Like middle-school lockers.
Meet Marcelle the pig. Marcelle is actually a French vending machine from the early 1900's. I met him the other day while "running errands" on the 1st floor of the building where I work. He's on loan from one of the customers that frequents the first floor of City Hall.
Linnea took quilting as a class her last trimester this year, her 8th grade year. Here's a picture of her proudly holding up her lovely quilt for all to see.
A few days ago when I came home from work, my mom and the little ones, Michael and Rebecca, were anxiously waiting to show me their triumph for the day--a lovely tent made out of our swing set and several blankets, sheets and towels pinned or sewn together. It took quite a long time to build, and everyone enjoyed playing in it and resting in it, including our Pomeranian, Shiloh.

5 comments:

Laura lok said...

ok that pig is weird very weird.

The quilt on the other hand is awesome she did a great job. Something I want to do when I have more time is to learn to knit and quilt.

Unknown said...

Hello Mel! Wow, that is a gorgeous quilt, she did an amazing job! Learning to knit/sew is a gift she will have for a lifetime...I know it's one I wish I had!

That pig is very interesting and quite the conversation piece I'm sure!

Your pictures are just delightful as usual and capture so much of your busy life with the kiddos!

Have a beautiful day Mel, I'm home today trying to beat a migraine headache that has kept me down the better part of the weekend. Say a prayer for me!

God bless you my dear friend!

Hugs,
Trudy

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Mel:)

It is great news to know that Megan is playing trumpet. I thought all along that only men played the trumpet but Megan is invading the male bastion.Fantastic! Please congratulate her on my behalf. She looks lovely with that beautiful smile.

The second photo is also great. It looks as though Linnea was taken by surprise and Rebecca took the golden opportunity to peep inside. and I can see the curiosity and wonder in her face as though she has seen some priceless treasure.

The old vending machine Marcelle looks very cute and it doesn't that old at all:)

Linnea has made a gorgeous quilt. Amazing talent.The designs look superb. My congratulation to Linnea.

Lovely tent. Your mum is really great in teaching Michael and Rebecca to make a tent. I am sure the children had a wonderful time making it. I think Shiloh is inside the tent but I am not sure since I cannot enlarge the photo.

You did the right thing to capture these precious moments and share it with us. I just can't get over the look of Rebecca peeping into the locker:)Charming! I can see curiosity, wonderment,surprise, satisfaction and thrill. Just amazing indeed!

Have a nice day Mel:)
Joseph

Danielle&Hannah said...

You are one cool, proud mum!

:-) love the post! And what an AWESOME quilt! I love to sew and embroider but have no time. For Linnea to be in grade 8 and achieve such an awesome task it just amazing. Quilts like that cost alot to make too! She had to have had all her pieces measured perfectly - wow Linnea!

Oh and the green lawn is just awesome!

Mel said...

Hi Laura,

I want to learn to do those things, too. Quilts are beautiful, functional, practical and last a long time. What a great way to spend our time!

Hi Trudy,

I'm sorry about your headaches, that's no fun at all. I'm surprised you're able to blog when you have a migraine... I think I'd be in bed in the dark.

Hi Joseph,

I always so enjoy reading your thoughtful, detailed and thought-provoking comments. You really take your time in responding, and it really shows. I wish I had the time to be able to do that, too. Maybe someday, when my kids are grown and I'm retired...? :) Your comments always bring a smile to my face and to my heart. You rock!

Hi Danielle,

Your comment about the green grass made me smile... :) Is it still winter there? Yes, the quilt was expensive to buy materials for--about $80 total (spread out over a couple of months), and that was with help from the teacher who gave scrap material to Linnea. But she'll always have it, and I'm glad she had the opportunity.

God bless each and every one of you!

Affectionately,
Mel