Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Our Surprise Welcome Home

We got home from our trip to Florida at about 11:30 p.m. on Wednesday, May 20th. The house was dark and quiet, and we assumed everyone was in bed. A few seconds after we walked in the door, however, we were greatly surprised when the lights came on and my mom and all of the kids jumped out from behind the couch shouting, "Welcome home!!" Megan made this beautiful welcome home sign for us, and mom picked a couple of branches from our Dogwood tree to put on the table, festively decorating the place in a cheerful homecoming celebration. I took these pictures the next day, when there was daylight. I wish I would have thought to put the dogwood branches in the sunlight... They would have looked prettier on camera that way. But you get the idea, anyway.

I finished reading "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" and managed to actually get some excerpts from it posted on my blog, "Echoes." Can you believe it? :) Then, a few days ago I started reading "The Unthinkable: Who Survives When Disaster Strikes and Why" by Amanda Ripley. It's extremely fascinating. It's a non-fiction book, but it reads like fiction. I can't put it down.

8 comments:

Kat said...

what a wonderful way to be welcomed home. I can see alot of thought and love was put into making your homecoming special. You are very blessed with your wonderful family.

FCB said...

Hi Mel,
What a fun post and what a sweet thing! It reminds me of he scripture "virtue is vindicated by her children." Children do things like this out of warm loving hearts, and with a little help from grandma, you have great riches.
Fred

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Mel:)

Fantastic welcome organized by your mom and the children. You would have been really surprised by the lights coming on suddenly, the shouting of welcome home and the decorations. A lot of thought would have been put into this by your mom and children. Surely, they all must have missed you badly.

Have a nice day Mel:)
Joseph

Kayloni said...

Did you get the disaster book at the library. sounds like a good read.

Mel said...

Hi Katrena,

Yes, it was fun and delightful, and I know you're right... I am incredibly blessed... Overwhelmed with blessing, actually.

Hi Fred,

It is a memory I'll never forget, to be sure.

Hi Joseph,

We were missed by our family, and we missed them. It's always good to come home. The surprise welcome just made it all that more special.

Hi Kayloni,

Yes, I did get it at the library. It's really good. I highly recommend that everyone read it if they can.

May God be with each of you as you go about your days today. :)

Love in Christ,
Mel

Unknown said...

Hi Mel,

What a beautiful homecoming for you! I'd go away more often if I were you! Actually, I probably wouldn't if I had a family at home willing to go to that kind of effort for me. That is so touching. You are very loved.

God bless you my dear friend!

Trudy

Mel said...

Hi Trudy,

Thank you. It was special and memorable. :) I'm very glad to be home, though.

Have a fabulous day!

Blessings,
Mel

Laura lok said...

oh what a great welcome home. I bet they all missed you terribly