Monday, April 27, 2009

Hard Pressed, but not Crushed - II Cor 4:8

I try hard not to be a whiner. But since the purpose of this blog is to chronicle my journey, I would be doing myself and my kids a disservice not to include a post every once in a while about the challenges we’re wading through, both myself personally, and all of us together as a family.

Sometimes when someone asks me how I’m doing, if there’s a Bible readily available, I’ll say, “I’m doing 2 Corinthians 4: 8-9.” And then they’ll laugh or smile and look it up, and invariably they’ll nod sympathetically with a solemn expression and say something like, “Yeah, I hear you… That’s exactly how I feel, too.”

Like so many other people, we’re struggling to make ends meet financially. My kids are outgrowing their clothes. Their shoes are worn out. We’re rationing milk and juice and limiting everyone to one serving at meals. Luxuries have been cut back to almost nothing. We’re limiting showers and baths in both frequency and duration. We’re buying generics whenever possible. My own clothes are threadbare and falling apart (the ones that fit, which aren't many...) I recognize that learning how to live more simply and inexpensively, and to be better stewards of water and electricity and other resources are all good things... I'm praying that after this time of struggle is over, we'll continue to live by these lean principles.

Praise God, my mom is going to start taking care of Michael and Rebecca, starting today. That will save $1,000 per month in daycare costs, which means we’ll be going in the hole by $1,000 less per month than we were before. But we’re still going in the hole.

And this situation presents another difficulty… My mom had only one child on purpose. She had her tubes tied right after I was born, because she didn’t think she’d be able to handle more than one. And now here she is, committed to watching a pretty but dramatic four-year-old girl and a very sweet but demanding two-year-old boy, day in and day out, all day long, for a year and a half, until Rebecca starts Kindergarten.

My mom is really anxious about this, and I don’t blame her. She probably feels about this the same way I would feel if I were to be assigned a job where my primary job duty would be public speaking… Yuck. The thought literally makes me want to barf. I feel so guilty and so sad for asking her to do this. It’s a service of inestimable value that we’ll never be able to repay, and for which I am humbly grateful. I pray that God will richly reward her in every possible way for her willingness to make a personal sacrifice of this magnitude for our family. I know that He will, either in this life, or in the life to come. I pray that He will also show me how and give me the grace to ease the burden for her as much as possible.

A few weeks back I was involved in a process-enhancement team at work. I felt honored to be a part of the team, and it was an enriching experience in many ways. But it put me so far behind in my own duties that I still haven’t gotten caught up. And instead of getting better, the problem seems to keep getting worse. I feel like if I could just get caught up, it would be pretty easy to stay caught up. But “caught up” has proved to be quite the elusive creature, and I feel terrible about the quality of my work as I'm trying to get as much as possible done in the shortest conceivable amount of time.

The battle of the bulge is still very real and ever more troublesome. Because I destroyed my metabolism by starving myself, God only knows if anything I ever do will have any kind of positive affect on my figure. I realize there are many other health benefits that make a health and fitness regime worthwhile, but for some reason I’m just not able to work up much passion or enthusiasm for those benefits. Summer is coming, which means that women will be wearing cute shorts and summer outfits, and it’s going to be hard to combat the envy, frustration, disgust (with myself), and self-pity that those daily reminders will conjure. Especially because I know how important having an attractive wife is to my husband (and to most men), and that he’s going to spend the summer trying hard not to be disappointed.

He and I are going to be going on a trip together for a few days in May to a warm climate (no cost, it was a trip he was given through work, which is a blessing), but the last time we went to a warm climate during a time when I was heavier, all I can remember is feeling hideously uncomfortable the entire time. I know that it’s a heart issue in myself that needs to be dealt with, and that I should be able to be so content in who I am in Christ that none of this matters, but, sigh…I’ll be surprised if that heart issue is fixed before we go, or any other time in the near future.

My husband has been under unbelievable pressure and stress for years on end now, and his body is beginning to show the signs. He’s been having stomach problems that have been getting progressively worse over the last couple of months. He’s lost 16 pounds in the last month or so without even trying. He’s not sleeping well. He's doing his part to try to stay healthy--he eats relatively healthy foods and takes supplements and attends church faithfully, and his attitude has been surprisingly good throughout everything that’s been going on. But I wish there was more I could do to help him, and those things that I could do that he would really, truly appreciate seem to be beyond my grasp right now.

My daughter Rebecca was chewing on one of her fingernails the other day, and her teeth broke the skin next to her nail. Her finger proceeded to develop a strep infection that, if it hadn’t been dealt with by the doctor, would have resulted in the loss of her finger. Her poor little finger is red and painful and peeling right now, but is on the mend, Thank God!

My mom has medical and prescription expenses, but is not covered by insurance, and is not old enough to be covered by Medicare or Medicaid. She also has other health care and dental needs that are not being addressed right now, and are simply being ignored, because we have no resources with which to address them.

There’s so much I want to do, and be, and become. I want to do justly, and love mercy, and walk humbly with God all the days of my life. I want to be the wife He created me to be, and for my husband to be satisfied with me and our relationship and marriage. I want to be the mother my children need so that they will open their hearts and lives to God in real, personal ways and find their satisfaction in Him. I want to work alongside God as He works out His plan to bring about His Kingdom on Earth as it is in Heaven. I want to do something to ease the suffering in the world. I want to instill in my children a vision for the future that God wants to bring to pass, and a hunger to be a part of what He’s doing instead of constantly looking for temporal, selfish, and fleeting satisfaction in the moment.

I want to be faithful with all that God has entrusted to me, including my house and yard. I realize that a huge part of my problem is time-management, and that only I can make this better. I’m praying for energy, motivation, wisdom, understanding, creativity and time with which to study this topic, to comprise a plan that is clear and workable and sustainable, and to put it into practice. But it feels like the more I want and pray for and strive towards these things, the more they all slip through my fingers.

I feel like a failure in every single area of my life, except dental care. I somehow manage to brush and floss my teeth most days. Thank God for small victories. :)

I feel like a selfish spoiled whiner, but I actually do feel better after having vented even just this much. There's more going on than this, but I am unable to communicate about it in this format. I'm glad that God in His mercy will never let me go, no matter how bad I mess up my life, or the lives of those around me.

11 comments:

Kat said...

At least you're being honest about your feelings. Not everyone can do that. I had someone ask me in church on Sunday how I was doing, and I immediately started to cry. I explained to her that I don't like anyone to see me this way in church. She reminded me that this was the place to show it. It was a reminder to me that we need to show other believers our true selves so that they can help us in time of need. How can others know to help if we don't speak about the things that are "really" going on in our lives. God knows your needs and He will provide you with the strenght and wisdom you need if you just ask Him.

Mel said...

Thanks, Katrena. You're right. It is important to be real and transparent. I'm glad that you were able to share with that lady at your church, and that she was able to share with you. And then you were able to share with me... God is good!

FCB said...

Hi Mel,
It's difficult to read a post like yours with my nature, which is wanting to find ways to fix everything. But for now it appears to me it is unfixable. You are under a heavy load, and frankly, if I were under that load I would be freaking out! I mean it, no exaggeration. What little I can say that may be of some comfort is simply that if you are able to juggle all these things you are a true Super Mom. When you listed all the things you want to accomplish I was thinking, you already are! To face the challenges you have and not run is a victory in itself. To try day after day to carry this load and still have a kind word for others would certainly be equal to the widows mites. Your desire to serve Christ is accepted by Him as the deed, and the service to your family and everyone's needs, this is Christianity at its best.
I have only two words that I can think of to help ease the load;

compromise and simplify.

I can tell you are great at learning to simplify, and if you learn to compromise more you may live through this season :)

I will pray that your mom's patience and abilities to cope with the children will stretch and turn into the most rewarding time of her life. It would be just like the Lord to do that. You said, "I pray that He will also show me how and give me the grace to ease the burden for her as much as possible." that shows such maturity and I'm sure she will need some alone time after a full day with even the most compliant children. But we do stretch.

I have spent so many summers not looking like I want that I guess I'm used to it. But with all you do I'm sure you look like a queen to Keith.
And to take away the enjoyment of food during this season would be cruel and unusual punishment if you ask me :)
I'm so glad to hear you and Keith will be able to get away and just have some fun. Man, if I get under too much stress without some fun thrown in, I lose the will to live!

I'll reluctantly mention one thought, and I have no doubt you have considered this already, but it may be worth considering a smaller house? I'll leave it at that.

However you come out of this I know you will have put your best into it, and that will be enough.
God bless you Mel, real good,
Fred
P.S. Thanks for the large font :)

Mel said...

Hi Fred,

Thank you for your many wise words of encouragement, sympathy, wisdom and suggestions. Yes, we have thought of a smaller house. However, to sell our house right now would be near impossible, and would probably leave us owing $30,000 over and above whatever we sold it for, since we're pretty much upside down on the loan. So that's not at option right now.

Thank you so much for investing time in this thoughtful and meaningful comment. Many blessings to you and yours! :)

kayloni said...

Mel,

thank you for this post. I experienced a dissapointment tonight.....well I'll just tell you, a sales dissapointment. And for some reason I always take it so personal and it just leaves me so deflated. I feel bad because Paul is in sales so I know he comes home feeling this way often and I am not sensitive to his fragile ego and state. Especially considering that his job actually matters and mine doesn't matter financially at least. I have not had to endure any hard times financially in my life but I'm just in tears for you. It is comforting to read about your hard times because it is a reminder that we all suffer in different ways, and if we can share our suffering, we can carry on so much better. "Carry each others burdens and in this way you fulfill the law of Christ".

I do pray that you will be able to take hour by hour day by day, trusting in Gods goodness and being completely oblivious to what the future may hold. I hope that the holy spirit will draw your thoughts aways from all your tomorrows and right back to the present. In your present, you and your family are clothed, cared for and fed. regardless of being in the negative.

I find it hard to believe that Keith is not thrilled with you even if you have some extra 'meat' on your bones at present. I think much of your pity and thoughts on how others will perceive you is in your head and you are believing the lies of the devil. You are so kind, and you make people feel good about themselves. You make people feel valued just by how you talk to them, look at them and act towards them. No one cares about your cottage cheese when you make them feel so special. Which you do. it is just you. And what is more central to our Christian calling them to make others feel valued? For them to know God values them we have to show we see value in them.

You are beautiful and I think it would break Keith’s heart to hear that you think he will be spending his summer, 'trying not to be disappointed in your body'. This is just not Keith.

Anyways, I treasure you for your honesty. You are in probably in the most fruitful season of your entire life without realizing it. The lessons you learn in this season will provide you with an immense source of wisdom, Godly perspective, patience, and compassion for your future and to share with others.

I don't know if this is just me or the holy spirit talking (so take it with a grain of salt) but I would brace yourself for the worse. Often things that look bad now will turn out for our better later. Ex: like a person that was home puking and sick on 9/11 that worked in the trade towers. So whether it is injustice in the court room or losing your home or whatever.....just trust that God allowing it will make more sense in the future and you will see just how much it was truly disguised for your good.

Much love from your sister in Christ!

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Mel:)

I feel like being hit by a sledge hammer after reading your post. It is unimaginable that you have so many problems on your young shoulders and you are put to the severest test to cope with. In any case, you are on the on the right track by listing down your sources of concern and now you know where remedial measures are needed. You have won half the battle.

It is said:

WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH, THE TOUGH GETS GOING.

STORMY SEAS MAKE A GOOD SAILOR.

WHERE THERE IS A WILL, THERE’S A WAY.

EITHER I WILL FIND A WAY OR MAKE ONE.

GOD ANSWERS OUR PRAYERS.

Raising a large family is not a joke. It is a tough affair. I just had 3 children and I know the difficult time I went through. In many ways we controlled our expenses. We did not throw away the shoes used by my eldest son. We kept it safely so that the second son could use them. We kept the old shoes of my second son so that the third son could use them. The same case with clothes. When my eldest son grew bigger, I gave him my old clothes. My children understood my problems and they never complained. I was the only earning member in the family. When I went on tour I lived in cheaper hotels and ate simple food so that I can save up some money from my fixed allowances given by the company. It looked like an up hill task and it seemed that the tunnel we were going through was never ending. We were literally groping in the dark. Educational expenses for the three children made a huge dent in my pocket but I made sure they went to a good school. Then came college and I had to spend more money. To my shock and horror, that is the time I lost my job because the company was not doing well. My world came crashing down on me. I prayed and prayed. God saved me. HE showed me a way to earn reasonable amount of money to carry on. Now my children are big and self supporting. In fact, my eldest son gives enough money every month for us to live comfortably. I am also doing a business.

Looking back on those tough times, I really don’t know how we survived. But then, here I am, 62 years old and still going strong. God has been kind to me just as HE is kind to every body else who believes in HIM an trust in HIM.

On a lighter vein, my sister in law was quite chubby and her husband used to say:” I love Marissa. She is just not a hand full, she is an arm full. “

Well, your planning is good and no doubt you will be a grand success. My prayers and best wishes are with you and you lovely family. I feel sorry for your children and your mother. But then, this is life and sometimes we learn the hard way. Your children will also become resourceful and learn how to cope with a difficult situation in their life.

I am perturbed at your post but God will see you through Mel:)
Joseph

Mel said...

Hi Kayloni,

I'm sorry for the disappointment you suffered... I hope you feel better now.

Thank you for your words of encouragement, they mean a lot to me. :) God is good, and He has a plan, and no matter what happens, it's all still a part of this amazing adventure called life, and it's all okay. A house is a house, and I love my house, but it's certainly not my foundation. I would be happy in a homeless shelter. Our joy comes from within, right? :) And think of all the cool people I'd get to meet! I know God is doing something, and I pray He'll give me the grace to follow Him, instead of accidentally going off in my own direction.

Bless you, Sister!

Love,
Mel

Mel said...

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for your insights and wisdom. Please don't get hit (or hit yourself) with a sledge hammer. That would be somewhat counter productive. :) God is in control, and I am trusting Him every moment of every day. There's joy in the pain, knowing that God is going to bring something useful out of it. And truly, I'm not miserable. There's joy and beauty and life in every moment, and by God's grace I'm able to enjoy those things in spite of the difficulties. God is so good, and so faithful. In a way it's an exciting time...

I hope all is well with you and yours,

With much affection,

Mel :)

FCB said...

Hi Mel,
After reading the posts from your friends I think you have a wider appreciation for how much you spread the joy of the Kingdom of God and although you may be hard pressed and unable to do all your warm heart would like, you are, in the midst of all the chaos, in full time ministry through your home and blog. I was in a continual state of "amen" as I read Kayloni's comments. Actually it did my heart good to hear everyones thoughts and I know they all feel as I do; that we wish we could smooth your path and hopefully the spirit of love in our posts filled in a pothole or two.
This comment by Kayloni - "You make people feel valued just by how you talk to them", echos in us all,
Fred
God bless

Laura lok said...

after reading this i really wanted to say something really positive like thing will get better or god only gives us what we can handle but in reality. Life Sucks sometimes and that's just it. Nothing any of us can say can change that. But I can say you are good hearted person and you don't deserve any of this but don't beat yourself up over all this. tackle one day at a time, one pile at a time and one problem at a time they will slowly start to resolve themselves and if you look at it that way they wont be so overwhelming.

HANG IN THERE AND HUGS

Mel said...

Hi Fred,

The affection expressed in these sweet and understanding comments has indeed filled in a pothole or two, and for that I want to say thank you again to everyone.

Hi Laura,

You're right. Life sucks sometimes. This weekend I thought a great deal about what you said about tackling one pile or problem at a time, and have been trying to do just that, and it's helped. God bless you. :)