Thursday, April 09, 2009

Why do I love photos of nature?


I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately, especially this week and last week, when my life has been so busy, hectic, noisy, chaotic, confusing and overwhelming. When I’m feeling especially panicky, simply looking outside—at a sun-kissed tree, or the river swollen with spring run-off, or the ducks and geese dwelling together so peacefully in Riverfront Park—settles my spirit and quiets my mind. And when I’m looking for photos to post on my blogs, I’m usually irresistibly drawn to simple, colorful, light-filled pictures of nature.

I’ve been thinking about why that’s true, and here are some of the reasons I’ve come up with….


All of Creation exists to give glory to the Creator. Trees and flowers, grasses and mountains, rivers and lakes and oceans, air and water, stars and galaxies and solar systems, and all living things in the physical realm give glory and worship to God simply by existing and being what they were created to be. Nature is innocent and uncomplicated. (Not to say that it’s not intricate, because it seems to me that mankind hasn’t even begun to scratch the surface of the ingenious intricacies of this universe.) But there is no premeditation in nature. There is no evil intent or hypocrisy. There’s no deception. And in addition to all of those things, there are many aspects of nature that are simply breathtakingly beautiful, and, at least in my life, God-breathed beauty is a healing, energizing force. Sometimes I pull up my blog simply to scroll through it and see the pictures.

(My friend Katrena [My Father's Beautiful World] read this post on Friday and sent me a bunch of rose pictures she has taken. This is one of my favorites of the ones she sent me. Thanks, Katrena!)

6 comments:

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Mel :)

Happy Easter to you and your family:)

I've just come back from the night mass.

Your insight is absolutely true and amazing. You explanation reminds me of P.B. Shelly's ODE TO A SKYLARK.

Have a wonderful Easter, Mel :)
Joseph

FCB said...

Hi Mel,
This is a good post and one that resonates with me as well. You have picked out some of the most beautiful pictures this last year, and I can't wait to see the next one. It is a soul food isn't it?
Happy Easter,
Fred

Mel said...

Happy Easter, Joseph! I'm glad you saw some value in my post... I'll have to check out that "Ode to a Skylark." I'm sure I'm going to love it.

Happy Easter, Fred! I'm so glad to be able to post a reply comment to both of you today. It is a wonderful, fabulous, glorious day to be alive! God is SO GOOD! :)

Kat said...

That is my favorite one also. Thanks for using it and sharing it with others!! Hope you and your family had a wonderful Easter. God Bless....Kat

Laura lok said...

beautiful rose. your quote "But there is no premeditation in nature. There is no evil intent or hypocrisy. There’s no deception. And in addition to all of those things, there are many aspects of nature that are simply breathtakingly beautiful, and, at least in my life, God-breathed beauty is a healing, energizing force."

says it all

Mel said...

Thanks, Laura! God bless you, and your family!