Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Meditating on Light

When the sun is shining on my side of the Earth, even if there’s cloud cover, as long as the air is clear of fog or smog or dust, I can see everything there is to see from horizon to horizon (from my perspective) by the light of that sun. The sun is so bright and so full of energy, and it’s not even close to being the biggest star in the universe. Wouldn’t a person think that with all those huge blazing balls of energy and light out there, that outer space would be a place of light instead of darkness? But when I look outside at the night sky full of stars, there’s a whole lot of blackness out there, in spite of all of those blazing furnaces. But even then, is all of that blackness really black? No, it’s just empty space that looks black to our eyes. (Literally empty… no air. Nothing. What IS all that space out there? Is it anything at all?) So what we perceive as being the brightness of day on Earth, when our side of this beautiful planet is facing the sun, is really not so much the brightness of the sun itself, but the reflection of that brightness from the land, water, buildings, atmosphere, etc. There are deep and meaningful spiritual implications in all of these observations, and I’m asking God to open the eyes of my heart that I might see them (and Him) more clearly.

3 comments:

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Mel :)

You have thought very deeply and explained very beautifully the mystery surrounding God.

So far God has revealed very little to us. However, He revealed to us fully Jesus Christ. I think there is enough revealed in the New Testament and Old Testament. To read and understand the Bible fully in this whole life may not be possible. God's mystery is more than the universe that we cannot see. The best thing to do is just to Trust Him with an unwavering mind.

I am astounded at your capacity to think so deeply and so clearly. Many thanks for sharing your wonderful thoughts.

Have a nice day Mel :)
Joseph

FCB said...

Hi Mel,
My, you are becoming quite the philosopher! You make me think! The Lord knitted your brain together in a most amazing way. I always look forward to what spills out.
God bless,
Fred

Mel said...

Hi Joseph,

"The best thing to do is just trust Him with an uwavering mind." Amen to that!! That is the goal and the aim of my life. My mind wavers about many things, but, thanks be to the Father, trusting Him is not one of them. I'm sure there are still areas of my life I don't trust Him with, but He hasn't revealed them to me yet. When He does, I'll trust Him with those, too. Thanks for your sweet comment, Joseph. God bless you!

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your kind comments. I always look forward to what spills out of your mind, too, dear Oregon Brother! Many blessings to you and your wonderful family!