Friday, February 27, 2009

Because I can't help it

"Herr Capellmeister, I should like to compose something; how shall I begin?" asked a youth of twelve who played with great skill on the piano.

"Pooh, Pooh," replied Mozart, "you must wait."

"But you began when you were younger than I am," said the boy.

"Yes, so I did," said the great composer, "but I never asked anything about it. When one has the spirit of a composer, he writes because he can't help it."

-"Pushing to the Front" by Orison S. Marden Published in 1911

(This was posted on Crowbar Massage on December 26, 2003. I've thought about it so much since I first read it that I knew I had to capture it and repost it here for easy access.)

*****

This story says so much to my heart. When I read a book, may it be because it's captured my heart so fully, I simply must read it and cannot put it down. When I sing a song, may it be because the song is filling my heart to overflowing so much that if I didn't sing it, I'd suffocate. When I spend time with my husband, children, family and friends, may my attention and passion be so fully engrossed, that all else ceases to exist. When I pray, may it be because God is planting His own vision and will so permanently in my heart, that crying it out loud back to Him is the only comprehensible response.

3 comments:

Mel said...

Thanks for stopping by, Sarah! God bless you! :)

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Mel:)

Very beautiful photo! The sun flower silhouetted against the cotton wool skies takes my breath away.

As regards the post, it is a fact that many youngsters want to achieve greatness without putting in the long hours of painful practice, working on their skill when others are sleeping, making sacrifices and postponing present gratification for a future achievement.

Many thanks for sharing.

Have a wonderful day :)

Mel said...

You're right, Joseph. My dad says that the secret ingredient in every success story is perserverence. I keep telling my kids, and myself, that. Maybe someday it'll sink in for real. :)