Saturday, February 14, 2009

When You're Green, You Grow


“When you’re green, you grow. When you’re not, you rot.”

My Internet friend, Danielle, who owns the blog “Danielle’s Realm,” shared this quote with me. It’s simple, short, catchy, easy to remember, and full of volumes of truth.

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.” Jesus Christ, in John 15:5

I sat in a church pew for years, hearing the messages and going through the motions, but not really growing. Not really changing. Not really being renewed deeply, from the inside out. But I thought it was okay. I was going to church. I was doing my part. The rest was up to the pastor and the teachers, and if I wasn’t growing, it was their fault.

Then God grabbed hold of my heart and told me that getting to know Him – really know Him – should be the most passionate pursuit of my life. That all of life, every moment of every day, is an opportunity to learn more about Him, and that church wasn’t just a place to learn more about Him—it’s a place to put into practice everything He’s been teaching me during the moments of my life when I’m not in church.

Things like learning how to love and accept people, including myself, unconditionally. Learning how to love, appreciate and enjoy being around all kinds of people, even the EGR (extra-grace-required) ones. Learning how to live and love fiercely and fearlessly, as the Spirit of God captures more of my heart, mind, energy, affections and trust.

How many people are rotting on their couches in front of the TV, or in their chairs in front of the computer, or i the pews of churches where they attend merely to punch a timecard, as it were? How heartbreaking it is, when God is right there, eagerly waiting to fill and cleanse all of our lives with streams – no, geysers! – of Living Water. Pure. Fresh. Exhilarating. Thirst-quenching.
I pray that we will all be hungrier and thirstier for more of Him, and will have open minds and hearts that hear and respond to His still, small voice—wherever it comes from.

8 comments:

FCB said...

Hi Mel,
Great post, I especially liked this - "it’s a place to put into practice everything He’s been teaching me during the moments of my life when I’m not in church."

If we all were more attentive to that little word of advice, think what a warm and loving place the church would be. Good stuff,
Fred

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

We so often get caught up in our lives that we forget to put our focus in the right place always. thanks for the reminder!!

Mel said...

Thank you both for your kind comments. :) May the grace and peace of our Lord Jesus Christ abound to both of you, and your families!

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Mel :)

Very interesting quote and post.

There is also another quote: PROGRESS IS LIFE, STAGNATION IS DEATH.

Of course, this has nothing to do with religion.

Best wishes :)

Mel said...

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for your comment, and for sharing that great quote! Many blessings to you and yours! :)

Unknown said...

Hey, Mel...thanks for all the work of past reading posts and comments...man, I forget the treasures hidden in there. Keep up the interweaving of people, places and thoughts....its a good thing.

Mel said...

Thanks, Pastor E. Your comments always encourage me. :)

Danielle&Hannah said...

Hey Mel,
I have been chatting with one of my best-friends recently. Nearly word for word she also shared that she had sat in church for over 5 years and not 'heard' the Word. Although it was in her life, it was not as active. She is now njoying Bible studies and the like. How awesum is God! There is nothing like the 'active' word of God in our lives!

Bless# you!
xx