Thursday, May 14, 2009

Birthday Bookmarks

One of my favorite things to do used to be giving out little goodies to people on their birthdays. I had a basket at work and a basket at church that I tried to keep stocked with candy bars, gum, stickers, cool pens, and other little trinkets that I thought people would like. Then, on or near their birthday, they’d get to pick something out of the basket as a special treat. Because of our financial situation, I’m unable to keep up the ministry of the birthday basket, and have been trying to think of other things I can do to recognize people’s birthdays in a tangible way.


Just recently, I decided to try making bookmarks for people. I have a 2009 desk calendar that has a different Thomas Kincaid picture on each page. So instead of throwing the pages away when the day is over, I’ve been cutting out the pictures, and combining them with colorful paper, birthday greetings, and inspirational verses or quotes to make bookmarks that hopefully will be pretty durable. So far the few people I’ve given them to have seemed to like them, and I hope that God will use this little ministry to bring glory to His name.


(first photo from Katrena)

Here's a photo of four of the bookmarks I've made so far. I took the picture before I wrote and posted the post, but had no way at that time to get the photo off my camera.

9 comments:

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Mel:)

Necessity is the mother of invention. It is an excellent way to make use of the calender. I would have loved to see a photo of the book mark made by you.

Kat's photo is splendid.

Have a nice day Mel:)
Joseph

FCB said...

Hi Mel,
I think that is a great idea, so personal and it reminds me of the way things used to be when most of America was on the farm and hard-pressed for "store-bought" trinkets. My Great Aunts made my sister and I hand made baskets, on all the holidays, they put such love and care into them that I will forever appreciate the spirit of the simple gifts.

I agree with Joseph, the photos on your blog are nearly ad unique as you,
Fred

Mel said...

Hi Joseph,

I'm sorry I didn't get to post the picture of the bookmarks at first... I didn't have a way to get the picture off my camera at that time. I'm glad you like Kat's picture... She's got talent, that one!

Hi Fred,

I used to look at handmade gifts with disdain. Shame on me. Now I know that others will feel that way about the bookmarks I give them, and it will be poetic justice. But others, like you and Joseph, will see value in them, so that's a good thing.

May grace and peace abound to both of you today and always, my dear friends!

Unknown said...

I love the bookmarks Mel! That is a wonderful idea and something special to keep to remind the person of you. Very sweet and creative!

Kat said...

Wow Mel, what a wonderful way to give back. You're very creative. One thing you might do with them also is for each one, make it personal and put a special note on it before you seal it so they will always treasure you thinking about them is such a special and Godly manner. Hope your trip has been full of peace and rest, as well as time well spent with your husband.

Kayloni said...

Joseph stole that quote right out of my mouth! :)

I also think thats a great way to show others you care using the resources you already have.

Way to go!

love Kayloni

ps. God bless you, keep you, make his face to shine upon you, give you peace and be gracious to you during your trip to Florida. Can't wait to hear about it.

Mel said...

Hi Trudy! Thanks for the encouragement. I hope that God will use the bookmarks to bless people and gently and quietly spread the message of His Kingdom. I sure am having fun making them!

Hi Kat! Yes, we had a great trip, thanks! And thanks for your idea about the bookmarks... I'm definitely going to do that when I have a clear idea of what people like. But usually I'm going to give people several options to choose from. I'm looking forward to learning more about what people like that way.

Hi Kayloni! Your comments are always such a blessing to me. Thank you also for the blessing from Scripture, it's one of my favorites, and I pray it quite frequently.

Thank you all of you for taking time to read and comment.

Many blessings and hugs to you all,
Mel :)

Laura lok said...

I have been catching up on your blog and sorry I haven't left a comment on each post but just had to on this post. I love what you are doing witht he bookmarks. great idea.

Mel said...

Thanks, Laura! I'm glad you like the bookmark idea. Please don't ever feel like you need to comment on each post... Whatever you WANT to do is good, but beyond that is the point of diminishing returns, don't you think?