Wednesday, May 13, 2009

War Photographer

Keith and I watched this movie last night about James Nachtwey, a photographer who has dedicated his life and career to capturing the horrors and suffering of war on film, in order to draw the attention of the world to the futility of war and the cause of peace. The words "God," "Jesus," "Christian," and "church" were not mentioned even once the entire time (that I can recall), and yet the message of Jesus whispered loudly to my spirit the entire time.

This man has endured and witnessed unspeakable horrors. He has sacrificed having a wife and family of his own. He has been sick with horrible diseases, and has been injured five separate times. In the film there are several instances when he's in areas where he has to completely cover his face because of sulfur in the air, or because of airborne chemicals being used as weapons.

My prayers go out to this man, and I deeply thank God for him and for the way he is ushering in God's Kingdom of Peace in such quiet but powerful ways.

4 comments:

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Mel:)

James, no doubt, is doing an exemplary work in focusing our attention on the evils of war. When we see the war scenes we are struck with horror at the loss of life and property and grievous injuries to many. War photographers risk their lives to do their jobs. James has risked too many things in his life. May God bless him for all the good work he has done. I hope people will understand the futility of war and come to the negotiating table and solve problems and differnce of opinions amicably.

In this connection, I would like to recall about the war reporter Daniel Pearl whose throat was slit open and the TV stations all over the world captured it alive on the screen. His gruesome murder was made into a movie and Angelina Jolie acted in it.

Have a lovely day Mel:)
Joseph

FCB said...

Hi Mel,
Oh I want to see this, I love stories of self-sacrifice. I so need them to help me keep on track and not end up in "the land of nod."
I'm glad to see your post, I have checked your blog each day in anticipation of some tasty tidbit, finally, you deliver!
Thanks for posting this....good to have your heartfelt thoughts to ponder. I have learned to respect the sacrifice photo journalists more now than ever. I wonder if I would make these kind of sacrifices? It is a tremendous display of the compassion of God, and it is inspiring and convicting.
Warmest wishes,
Fred

Unknown said...

Wow, that is really incredible. I'm definitely going to have to check out this dvd, I hope my library has it!

Mel said...

Hi Joseph,

I did see that movie about Daniel Pearl, just recently, and it, too, was a library find. I pray that if I'm ever put to the test, that I will be brave enough to die for what I believe in.

Hi Fred,

I, too, wonder if I could or would make those kinds of sacrifices. God only knows.

Hi Trudy,

I hope you'll get a chance to see it, and that you'll enjoy it. Let me know what you think...

Thank you all for your comments. They mean so much to me. God's richest blessings to all of you!