Thursday, May 14, 2009

Lunchtime Encounter with God

Yesterday at lunch I went to Lourdes Cathedral to pray. I never even realized it was there, just a few blocks from my work, until a few days ago. There is a service that takes place there at noon every day, and I was in the sanctuary while that noon-hour service was going on. I can’t even begin to describe how full my heart was—so full that it literally overflowed in tears of joy and awe and repentance. The room was full of quiet, profound reverence. The stained glass windows with the sun shining through them were beyond breathtaking. I don’t remember the last time I felt the presence of God so powerfully or so deeply. I can’t wait to go back! (This time it’ll be with a stash of Kleenex in my pocket…)

(Photo from Katrena)


These are a couple of photos I took while I was at the cathedral. They don't do the windows justice, though.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Mel, I always just love the pictures you post, they are so lovely! Incredible!!n Lourdes Cathedral is absolutely gorgeous, I think I would be spending a lot of time there too. I'm glad you had such a wonderful time with God...I sometimes escape to the inside of my car at lunchtime for those!

Glad to see you are back and doing well, I've missed you!

FCB said...

Hi Mel,
Mmmmm, that sounds wonderful. Wish I were there with you. What a great way to spend lunch-time.
I can just feel the stillness and reverance you describe. Good stuff,
Fred

Mel said...

Thanks, Trudy!

I used to get great use out of the inside of my car for that purpose, too. In fact, there was a time that three other ladies and I met in a car at lunch to pray and talk about God. It was great! (When it wasn't too hot, that is...)

Hi Fred,

I wish you could have experienced it first hand. It was something special. However, I'm quite sure you've experienced many encounters with God that were just as powerful for you as this was for me, and I'm so glad we worship a Creator Who is so incredibly personal.

Many blessings to both of you, and to your families!

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Mel:)

I have seen people in offices during lunch time. They sit and gossip.

It is an excellent thing to spend time in the house of God, to pray, meditate, think, absorb the quietness and appreciate the beauty of the surroundings.

I liked the photo of the stained glass windows. I always loved to see stained glass windows.

I saw your photo of the book marks made by you. They are good, original, creative and very useful.

Have a lovely day Mel:)
Joseph

jenn said...

Beautiful photos.

It sounds like a wonderful way to spend lunch. Sometimes I walk in the park at lunch and pray. That way I'm getting exercise and spending some quiet time with God. I always feel so much better afterwards.

Mel said...

Hi Joseph,

Thanks! I agree with you whole-heartedly that spending time in God's house at lunch is a passtime far superior to gossip... I'm glad you like the stained glass windows. As you well know, they're always far more beautiful to see in person than in a picture. I'm glad you like my bookmarks. If you'd like me to, and if you feel comfortable emailing me your mailing address to "tweeten1@yahoo.com" I'll send you one in the mail... :)

Hi Jenn,

Thanks for stopping by my blog! What a treat! We have a beautiful park with miles and miles of paved paths right across the street from where I work, and when the weather's nice, I enjoy going there to walk and pray, too.

God's richest blessings to all of you today and always!

Affectionately,
Mel