Monday, May 04, 2009

Springtime Refreshment

I've been having a great time taking pictures. (Thanks to my friends Joseph and Katrena for the inspiration.) This is a picture of the Spokane River from the Post Street Bridge.
This is one of the blooming bushes outside the public safety complex.
This is my back yard and yes, that is an actual teeter totter. Michael and Rebecca balance each other out surprisingly well in spite of the 2-year age difference.


This is the weeping cherry tree in my back yard, which is in full bloom, next to a couple of our evergreen bushes, which are not doing quite so well.
There's my little monkey, Stephen, enjoying one of the Maple trees in our front yard.

This tree outside the public safety complex is one of many flowering trees on that particular street. They don't stay flowery for very long, so I'm grateful that God blessed us with a sunny day on a day that I had my camera as well as time on my lunch hour to do some spur-of-the-moment photography.

This budding bush is near City Hall where I work, and the bridge in the background is the Monroe Street Bridge, which is a huge part of the official City of Spokane icon.

These little marmots decided to investigate what I was doing. So I decided to make the most of the moment and snap their picture. Aren't they cute?

Here's another shot of the river, which is swollen with spring run-off.
Here's Rebecca, enjoying the warm spring weather with me.

There are links on the right side of this blog page now. One of them is a link to Katrena's photos, which are gorgeous, and a link to mine, some of which are decent, but most of which are just ho-hum. But that's okay. I'm having fun exploring and experimenting. :)

10 comments:

Laura lok said...

cool its great to see you taking some shots of the world around you It really doesn't matter how "good" they are because its really about what you see in the world and recording it for future generations.

Mel said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Laura! You are a pro at this picture taking stuff... :)

Unknown said...

These are beautiful pictures! They are a wonderful representation of Spring and how alive everything is. I am always so grateful to God for the newness of life in the Spring (although He gives us new life every day). Just yesterday, I thanked Him for the beautiful green grass.

Thanks for your sweet comments again. Have a beautiful day!

Mel said...

Thank you, Trudy! You have a beautiful day as well!

Kat said...

THOSE ARE REALLY GOOD. I LIKE HOW YOU TAKE YOUR PHOTOS FROM A DIFFERENT ANGLE, SO YOU SEE MANY THINGS IN ONE PHOTO. I LIKE TO PUT LANDSCAPE IN MY PICTURES, USUALLY TO THE FRONT, SO YOU'RE LOOKING AT THE TREE, OR PLANT, AND ALSO LOOKING IN THE BACK TO WHATEVER IS BEHIND IT. IT GIVES YOU THE EFFECT THAT WHATEVER IS BEHIND IT MIGHT BE SECRET OR FORBIDDEN, SO YOU HAVE TO JUST PEEK AT IT THROUGH A TREE OR WHATEVER. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, I'LL BE LOOKING FOR WHATEVER ELSE YOU MIGHT BE POSTING.

FCB said...

Hi Mel,
What a great portfolio! You have quite the eye now don't you. Looks like you know have an added incentive to walk and observe.
I'm sure Joseph will love these just like we love his.
God bless and good hunting,
Fred

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Mel:)

Gorgeous photos. Each one is a marvel and a beauty to behold. A visual treat.

I can see glimpses of your lovely surroundings and slices of your life.

I loved every one of them. Wonderful!

I can write a story with each one of the photo:)

Many thanks for sharing.

Have a lovely day:)
Joseph

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Mel:)

I have checked up Katrena's photos. They are too good for words. She has a priceless treasure.

Many thanks for leading me to Katrena's photos. I am dazzled by the sheer brilliance of her amazing talent.

Best wishes:)
Joseph

Mel said...

Thanks, Katrena! Your observations mean so much to me. Your photos have been inspirational to me and have helped me to take better pictures. Did you happen to see Joseph's comment about your photos?

Thanks, Fred! I wanted so badly to get out into the neighborhood with my camera over the weekend, but, alas, it didn't happen. Maybe sometime this week when the evening sun is casting artistic shadows everywhere....

Thanks, Joseph! You are one of my inspirations! And thanks for checking out Katrena's photos. I agree with you, she is incredibly talented, and her photos are dazzling!

Kat said...

Thank you Mel....I appreciate all the feed back you give me. Your heart is open so I know that you tell me exactly what you feel. I appreciate that. Yes, I did see Joseps's message, and I sent him a note thanking him for the kind comments. Being the artist, I'm harder on my work than others are, so I don't always see what others do.. It helps me to hear other opinions to know what does and doesn't work. I'm glad you taking up photography as a hobby, its refreshing to the heart, and allows us to see the world in a totally different light. You become much more aware of your surroundings when you're looking for things to take pictures of. Have a wonderful day Mel and thank you for being such a blessing to all of those around you. Kat