Friday, May 22, 2009

It's Great to be Home!

It's always fun to go on vacation, but for me, coming home from vacation is still one of the best parts. This is a picture of the fountain in front of the hotel we stayed at, the Ritz Carlton on Key Biscayne Island in Florida.
One of the best things about the trip was the bed, which had a feather bed topper, soft cotton sheets and a down comforter. One night I slept for 8 hours straight without moving or waking up once. That very rarely happens to me, so when it does, it's cause for celebration! :) These are the four books I took with me, since I couldn't pick just one. I read the short stories of Wendell Berry on our flight to Florida, and read 200 or so pages of "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" on the flight back to Spokane. I'm hoping to post some great quotes from the book on my blog Echoes sometime in the near future.
On Tuesday we went on a tour of the Everglades, which included a stop at a winery called Schnebly's where they make all of their wine using tropical fruit grown locally. They do not use any grapes in their wine, and I have to say, it was the only wine I've ever tasted that I actually half-way liked.

When we arrived at the winery, it was pouring down rain, but when we got on the bus to head back to the hotel, this is what the sky looked like. I love cloudy/sunny skies and rain washed earth, and couldn't take enough pictures of the scene.

This is the center piece from Tuesday night's dinner, which was fantastic and beautiful.
We met several amazing couples on the trip. One couple from Louisiana has been married 28 years. The wife told me she and her husband are constantly telling other couples that even though raising a family and staying together is difficult in this day and age, it does get easier after the kids are grown, and it's worth it to hang in there through the challenging times.
Another couple we met, from Texas, has been married 44 years. They don't have children, but they have 3 dogs. We chatted with them at dinner on Monday night, and in spite of a 20 or 30-year age difference, we all saw eye-to-eye on most of what we talked about. Things such as raising children who know how to work hard, be considerate, and respect their elders, as well as how to work and run a business ethically and honestly.
Finally we met a couple from Montana. The husband sings in a Southern Gospel choir that tours around, and I'm hoping that our church will invite his group to visit. We greatly enjoyed talking to this Christian couple about God and oh-so-many other things.
I pray that God will richly touch and bless all of the people we met there.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful Mel...it sounds like you had a great, relaxing vacation. I love the pictures! Meeting people while traveling is one of my favorite parts!

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hello Mel

Welcome back! I am thrilled to see you have started posting.

The photos are good and sky in particular is wonderful.

When you talked of Ritz Carlton and the bed on which you slept so well, my memory went back to the days I used to go for one week training to Calcutta(India) and stayed in Carlton Hotel. It was an old type British hotel and the beds had springs. When I laid on it, the bed went so low because of the springs that I found it difficult to sleep on it. Every time I got in and got out, it made a loud creaky sound. Tea in the morning was served with a banana. The breakfast was toasted bred, omelete, butter, jam and porridge along with coffee or tea. There was no variety and every day we had to eat the same break fast. The problem was, I am so used to South Indian breakfast like iddili, dosa, puttu etc ( I am sure you have not heard of these names)I found it very difficult to eat the breakfast served in the hotel. Since the company was footing the bill, I had no choice but to eat it. I was so relieved when the training got over and we boarded the train to go back to our home town.

I can see that you had a good time in the hotel and enjoyed moving around and visit the winery.

The meeting with the three couples should have been a special experience and many thanks for sharing a gist of the discussion you had with them.

Your post gives me an indication that you and Keith had a good relaxing time and your batteries are fully charged up to face the daily grind at home and office.

I very glad to see you back Mel:)
Joseph

FCB said...

HI Mel,
What a great photo journal. The palms swaying in the lush greenery is spell binding. Looks like a corner of heaven. I hope that you and Keith found it a time to refresh and rejuvinate. Having time together alone stirs those old romantic feelings and this location looks like a wonderful place to enjoy each other.

I'm sure you were a blessing to the couples you spoke with; seems like people are so much easier to talk with on vacation. Guards are down, emotions elevated, which seems to make short but deep connections.

I'm like you when it comes to wine, I wish I could enjoy a nice glass over dinner, appreciate the bouquet, have it enhance the food, but alas, it just tastes like sweetened turpentine to me :)

Great post,
Fred

Mel said...

Hi Trudy,

It was a great, relaxing vacation, thanks! I'm glad you like the pictures. There are waaaay more where those came from. If you click on the link to "Mel's Photos" on the sidebar, I uploaded two sets of pictures on May 21, 2009. One of our trip, and one of other photos.

I never used to care much for meeting new people--it made me feel genuinely uncomfortable. But God is gently leading me out of the realm of fear into the beauty and truth of His Kingdom. It's so fun! :)

Hi Joseph,

Thanks! It's great to be back! Thank you so much for sharing your story with me about your stay in Calcutta. I bet you really were anxious to go home. I love hearing your stories. Every time you share one, I feel like I know you a little bit more.

Hi Fred,

I'm so glad you like the photos. There's a whole lot more where those came from under "Mel's Photos" (two new albums added on 5/21/09)

You're so right about people being easier to meet and talk to on vacation. There was a time in my life when I would have stayed in the hotel room the whole time, away from the torture of meeting new people, but praise God He is leading me out of that phase of my life. Yours and Joseph's blogs have been instrumental in that metamorphosis. (sp?) I'm glad to know that you also are a person who sees the value of wine, but cannot stomach it. I thought I was the only one. :)

Many blessings, joy and peace to all of you and your families!

Yours in Christ,
Mel

Kat said...

Love the photos your taking. I only have time to look on your main page, but your doing a great job. Its a lot of fun, and a great way to go off into another world while your looking for your next shot to take. What band did you meet from Montana, and where were they from. I'm curious if I know who they are... Glad you enjoyed your vacation. Time alone with a spouse is always needed.

Mel said...

Hi Katrena,

It was fun to get away with my husband. :) Thanks for your kind words about the pictures... I consider you on of my mentors in the area of photography, so your words of affirmation are doubly meaningful.

I don't know what the name of the band was, but I think they're from Missoula. (sp?)

Many blessings to you and yours, Katrena!

Laura lok said...

looks like an awesome trip. I totally agree with the couple you met when the kids are grown it is easier.

Mel said...

Hi Laura! Whew, that's good to know... It means we've only got roughly 16 years to go, give or take a few... :)