Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Gloriously Fresh and New - The Beauty of Today!

The Spirit is a Creator. Always has been, always will be. That means if we are His, and we stay too long in one place, or remain too long in one condition, sooner or later, one way or another, the Spirit will bring change into our lives. It can be painful, but it doesn’t have to be. Change is scary for some, and exhilarating for others. It used to be scary for me, but not anymore. After all, in such a grand adventure, who in their right mind would ever expect (or even want) things to stay the same? It wouldn’t be an adventure then. (Is that the spirit of Bilbo speaking to me…?)

One new thing that’s happened lately is that I’m taking the bus to work now. All of these years I’ve been afraid of it--afraid that I wouldn’t be able to get to the daycare in time, afraid that I would meet scary people or be confronted with uncomfortable situations, afraid to ask my boss if my work schedule could be adjusted, etc, etc, etc. And then finally something happened that gave me the motivation to bite the bullet and ask her, and she said yes! So yesterday was my first day, and I found out that all of those fears were absolutely groundless. Taking the bus is fun, it’s “green”, it’s relaxing, it frees up my time for other things, and it affords the opportunity to meet and talk with so many different kinds of people. God is so GOOD! J

Something else happened just today… I decided that from now on, beginning today, I’m going to start researching each major holiday as it comes up, to find out who, what, where, when and why. The frilly holidays we celebrate now are but sugary candy, but the roots of them are nourishment of the whole-grain, grown-from-rich-soil variety. God took a history-hater and turned her into a history-lover! I think I’ve found the story I’m going to read to my class tomorrow evening… The story of St. Patrick! Have you ever read it? What a God-glorifying life he lived! I would never have known the history if God hadn’t birthed a brand new passion in my heart for His Story.

Photo by my friend Katrina, who owns the blog "My Father's Beautiful World."

6 comments:

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Mel :)

This post is only an extension of your previous post i.e. moving beyond your fear.

Change is the only permanent thing in life. This is also taken from the book Who moved my cheese?

When I started traveling in the bus, I dreaded the journey and felt sorry for myself. But then slowly I got used to it and in fact I have a good sleep many times apart from the fact I get time to watch and interact with people.

It is quite interesting to note that you are beginning to become more and more adventuress and taking up new projects and putting new ideas into practical use. I suppose this is the way all of us learn, understand and appreciate life.

Very interesting post. I enjoyed reading it.

Wish you a wonderful day :)

Mel said...

Hi Joseph!

Yes, the two posts are closely related to each other... They could have actually been one post. Who Moved My Cheese is a great story with incredible applications for real life. It's a modern day parable. I love it! I'm so glad you've read it, too! We have it in common!

Have a great day!

Mel

Laura lok said...

thats great. taking the bus is a great way to get to work I haven't got it figured out to where it will be less then 3 buses for me yet but when the weather is nicer I might be able to walk further.

Mel said...

Hi Laura,

Thanks! It has been great! It would be a 2-3 bus journey for me, too, if I didn't park at the Park N Ride. But even though I have to drive to the Valley Transfer Station, that's only about 2 miles, instead of the 12 mile drive to work. So that's nice. Have a great day! :)

FCB said...

Hi Mel,
That percolating mind of yours has come up with another wonderful idea, and so simple and practical, riding the bus. Which I have only done maybe six times in my life. When I read of how Joseph meets many different experiences on the bus I can't wait to hear what will happen to you! In a good way of course. I just have this idea about you that you won't be sitting there quietly all the way to work, so..... something good's going to happen.
Fred

Mel said...

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I hope you're right! So far, people don't even want to make eye contact, much less talk to someone... But God will open doors, I'm sure. :) Until then, I have a lot of reading to catch up on, and I'm so grateful for the time to do so.

Blessings,
Mel