Monday, March 09, 2009

Poetry - A Newfound Appreciation

Poetry used to bore me. When I read the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy, I skipped over most of the poems and songs because they simply didn’t interest me. When people shared poems or song lyrics with me, I rarely read them. Anymore, however, I find that poetry moves me in ways that standard writing never did. Where were my eyes when I was reading it before? They must have been tightly shut.

Now I realize part of the reason I didn’t care to read poetry was because I was lazy. Poetry is an art form that when skillfully crafted and thoughtfully unwrapped has power to awaken, restore, cleanse and invigorate. The unwrapping takes a little extra time, an investment of mental, emotional and spiritual energy, but the rewards are beyond comprehension. There are a few poems from the book “Story” by Steven James, and a few poems that Pastor Eric wrote, that call to deep places in my heart. I hope to post them someday soon on my blog “Echoes.”

5 comments:

FCB said...

Hi Mel,
I really enjoy the way you described poetry. When one runs across a poet that speaks to your heart it is a unique experience and widens our eyes, opens up secret places we have overlooked. I was in my forties before I really appreciated poetry, but then along came a poet whose words resonated and explained many of my confused emotions, ahhh, it broadened my horizons like few other things.
May we continue to find more and more poets that speak to our hearts. What a treat! and part of the many blessings I wish for you,
Fred

Mel said...

Hi Fred! Joy shared is joy multiplied, isn't it? There's a poem of yours that I dearly love that I'm hoping to post on "Echoes" right next to Pastor Eric's poems... The apple certainly doesn't fall far from the tree. I feel so blessed and grateful to know both of you. :)

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Mel :)

I fully agree with you. Writing poetry requires more effort, more visualization and more thinking than writing an article. It is not possible for everyone to write poetry.

Therefore, reading and understanding a poetry is also more difficult, needs more concentration and more effort. But it is a very good exercise for the brain. Some of the most beautiful things are best explained in poetic form.

Best wishes :)

Mel said...

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for your words of affirmation! And thank you for your encouragement in Shiela's life during this difficult time she's going through. Fred said God is good through you, and he's right! :)

Best wishes to you, too!

Laura lok said...

You ever notice that young people (still in school) tend to write a lot of poems? Well at least that's what I remember from being a kid. I think as we get older there is so much in our lives that we forget how to express our feelings through a well thought out poem or story. I think you are mostly right about being lazy but also its about balancing your time to take the time to do the reading.