Friday, March 06, 2009

Seeing Him

In the building where I work, there are seven floors plus a basement. There’s also another set of stairs going from the 7th floor up to the roof access. So that’s 16 flights of stairs in all. As I’ve been trying to embrace a more healthy lifestyle, I’ve been trying to take the stairs as much as possible, instead of the elevator, and keeping track daily of how many flights I climb. Whenever I can squeeze in the last flight of stairs from the 7th floor to the roof access level, I do it.

After the first couple of trips up there, I noticed a little booklet lying on a table or small cabinet amongst a bunch of junk and debris. After a few more times up there, I was curious enough to pick it up and look at it. Although it is rather faded, the picture on the front of the booklet is beautiful. The title is “Seeing Him,” and it’s written by K.P. Yohannan. I’ve never heard of the booklet or the author before.

But since seeing Him--seeing and knowing Christ--is the heartbeat and lifeblood of my existence, once I saw the title, I knew I had to open it and read it. As I often do, I read the end first, and this is what I read:

“When we can’t see Him or feel Him, we should deliberately look for Him, to see His care and His presence all around us. And if you listen closely enough, if we quiet ourselves long enough…we too will realize He has been right alongside us the whole time… More than you realize, He will reveal Himself in a still, small voice and in so many tiny events and encounters.” (pg 37)

Yep, tiny events like finding a tiny 37-page pamphlet tucked away in a cluttered, rarely-seen corner of my world.

I borrowed the booklet for the weekend and left a note for whomever it belongs to, just in case they go up there looking for it.

Thank you, Dear Father, for your constant presence and care!

(picture from the internet)

6 comments:

Laura lok said...

what a neat thing to find on your walks. small packages in strange places has to mean something I think

Danielle&Hannah said...

Just like "footprints" in the sand, when there are times we think we are alone and carrying our burdens alone, it is then that our heavenly Father is carrying us. That is when we see one set of footprints in the sand and we should surely have understood that there were more than one.....

One night a man had a dream. He dreamed he was walking along the beach with the LORD.

Across the sky flashed scenes from his life.
For each scene he noticed two sets of footprints in the sand: one belonging to him, and the other to the LORD.

When the last scene of his life flashed before him, he looked back at the footprints in the sand.

He noticed that many times along the path of his life there was only one set of footprints.

He also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times in his life.

This really bothered him and he
questioned the LORD about it:


"LORD, you said that once I decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way.
But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life,
there is only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why when I needed you most you would leave me."

The LORD replied:

"My son, my precious child,
I love you and I would never leave you.
During your times of trial and suffering,
when you see only one set of footprints,
it was then that I carried you."

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Mel :)

Very inspiring post.

A small booklet accidentally found by you could give you so much joy and happiness makes me believe that your persistently looking for God in every thing you do and waiting to give HIM praise at the slightest opportunity.

This proves that you are walking along with God hand in hand.

Many thanks for sharing.

Have a good day :)

Mel said...

Hi Laura! Yes, I agree, they definitely must mean something. I don't believe in coincidences.

Hi Danielle! That poem/story has become such a source of peace and strength and a source of deep meditation for so many. Thanks for sharing!

Hi Joseph! I hope I'm walking with God hand in hand, that is my prayer. I pray that all of us will "go deeper" in our relationships with Him.

May God richly bless each of you, dear fellow bloggers and commenters, and may your needs be met extravagantly on a daily basis!

Anonymous said...

If you like Brother KPs booklet, watch this video, it will bless you.
http://www.gfa.org/video/to-live-is-christ?cm_mmc=GFA-_-Email-_-377991-_-sub-7

Mel said...

Thank you for the link to the video! I watched it and enjoyed it so much! I've thought about it so many times since I watched it yesterday. God bless you!